cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crystal Reports Editor in Visual Studio 2010 doesn't exist

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have VS2010 Professional and a project with 4 rpt files in it. When I go to open them, they appear in binary format, not with the Crystal Reports editor. Reinstalling the CR addin for VS2010 doesn't help. If I right click on the rpt file and select Open With... then I can add a new editor to the list, but I don't know/can't find which EXE is the Crystal Reports Editor. Can someone point the way for me to that EXE, or even better, tell me how to resolve this through a more automatic process, like an installer?

Thanks,

Bond

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Bond,

Moved to .NET SDK forum.

Are you using the CR for VS 2010 installer from this page:

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/boc/crystalreports-dotnet

It sounds like you have permission issues. Close all programs and make sure you are logged in a s Administrator and then right click on the setup.exe and run as Admin.

Try doing a Repair install with nothing else running either.

What happens if you add/create a new report?

Make sure you are using the 4.0 Framework, not the client version.

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the quick answer. Here is the additional info:

VS is set to always run as Admin. I have to click Yes on the UAC to open it. My login is also in the local Administrators group.

Did the repair of CR for VS and VS2010. Also tried removing both and putting them back on. No luck there. I have VS2010 SP1 installed.

I can add a new report, sort of. It adds a *.mht file instead that takes me to SAP's website for installing CR for VS.

I have the full .NET v4 installed on my machine. The project is set to use .NET v3.5.

Any idea where the EXE for the Crystal Reports Editor is?

Bond

0 Kudos

Hi Bond,

Very strange... the embedded CR Designer is craxddrt and is not available to run as stand alone....

The MHT is an Archived HTML format file. I have no idea why VS or CR would be creating that type of file.

Seems you have your file associations all messed up. If you don't have any standalone CR Designers installed then double clicking on any RPT file should open Visual Studio up. If that doesn't work then you'll have to have a look at your file associations.

Possibly your anti-virus software is blocking your install or using VS to open reports up. Try disconnecting your network cable and the disable your AV software and try again. It could also be DEP or UAC causing the problem. Try turning it off also, after disconnecting or adding CR to the trusted list.

Very strange...

Don

Former Member
0 Kudos

DEP is only turned on for essential windows programs only.

You are right that opening an RPT file doesn't open VS. It tells me to open it using "Crystal Reports for Visual Studio .NET", but I need an EXE to open it from Windows Explorer. I tried using DevEnv.exe for VS2010 and that opened it as a binary file, the same as when the report is opened from within VS. The dll you mentioned doesn't help at all - probably because it's a dll...

I don't have a stand-alone CR viewer on this computer (but I do have CR Professional 8.5 and 11 on other machines). I need this to work from within VS though, not from a stand-alone program.

I'm on a secured network/workstation. I can't disconnect and turn off AV.

VS is really acting as if the integration with CR doesn't exist, but it is installed. I also have VS2008 on my machine. I need both because we have some projects in each of them. CR in VS2008 works great.

Thank you for trying to help me. Is there real SAP Support for issues like this, or just forum help?

Bond

0 Kudos

Hi Bond,

It's definitely permissions. Possibly ProcessMonitor from Microsoft will help you, look for access denied errors in the logs when you try to open a report. It's odd that if you have VS 2008 it should have opened the report also when you double clicked the RPT file.

There is no Report Designer EXE in CR for VS 2010, only way is to open it in the .NET IDE.

Forums is it unless you want to purchase a support case or have an existing support contract and get a Rep to work with you directly:

http://store.businessobjects.com/store/bobjamer/en_US/DisplayCategoryProductListPage&CategoryID=5598...

If CR basic for VS 2008 is working then it's definitely a permission issue and likely your AV blocking access to our dependencies. Process Monitor should show you. Files are basically the same as CR 2008 just in a different location.

You could try doing a repair install of VS 2010 and then repair CR for VS to get it integrated back in. Make sure EVERYTHING is closed before repairing.

Don

former_member183750
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is a known issue of Crystal Reports Basic for Visual Studio 2008 (CR 10.5) and CRVS2010 not being side by side compatible. The symptoms and behavior are usually different, but it will be a good idea to uninstall CR 10.5. Uninstall CRVS2010. repair VS 2010 and reinstall CRVS2010.

I am not saying htis will resolve the issue, but it may be worth a try...

Ludek

Follow us on Twitter http://twitter.com/SAPCRNetSup

Got Enhancement ideas? Try the [SAP Idea Place|https://ideas.sap.com/community/products_and_solutions/crystalreports]

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm not 100% what I did to fix this, but here are some of the things that I tried in roughly the order I tried them.

Remove SAP Crystal Reports runtime engine for .NET Framework 4 (32 and 64 bit) from my computer.

Remove SAP Crystal Reports, version for Visual Studio 2010 from my computer.

Scour my hard drive and registry to remove any left overs I could find. I had to be careful not to remove the VS 2008 stuff.

Repair VS2008.

Repair VS2010 SP1.

Run the SAP Crystal Reports installer I downloaded from [SAP Crystal Reports for Visual Studio .NET|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/crystalreports-dotnet] under Knowledge Center>Complete Package (EXE).

Thanks for your all's help,

Bond

Answers (0)