Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle offline redo logs get deleted before moving to DR server

ivan_martis3
Explorer
0 Kudos

HI,

I have setup Oracle DR for the production server using Oracle dataguard. During the daily online backup (disk backup) the archive logs get deleted from the primary server. So one more log files do not get transported to the DR server during this period of daily online backup. How can I resolve this?

Regards

Ivan Martis

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ivan,

if you are using Oracle Data Guard in LGWR mode you don't need to do anything. If you use ARC mode to transport the redo stream then yes.

Just restore the missing archive logs on the primary site and then Oracle Data Guard will ship them automatically by gap resolution. By the way if you would use Oracle RMAN to backup your database / log files this would not be happen, because of RMAN is aware of such situations (unless you force RMAN to delete these files as well).

Regards

Stefan

ivan_martis3
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the reply. I use LGWR still the logs are missing. I have restored the missing logs.

I use DB13 for taking disk backup . How can I stop the logs getting deleted before they are shipped again.

Regards

Ivan

Former Member
0 Kudos

How can I stop the logs getting deleted before they are shipped again.

Easy:

In DB13 you may choose options for redo log backup.

Do not choose any option with the letter d for delete in it.

By the way, as an alternative approach you might consider running backups on your standby site. This would take load away from your production system.

regards

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ivan,

I use LGWR still the logs are missing. I have restored the missing logs. How can I stop the logs getting deleted before they are shipped again.

Ok - so if you use LGWR and you even hit that missing log issue - you got a "long-term" problem with connection to the standby database.

As already mentioned if you want to avoid such situations you have to "migrate" from BRTools backup behavior to Oracle RMAN to get these internal checks. In my personal opinion the BRTools are fine for gathering statistics, running checks and doing some daily administration stuff, but in the backup and recovery area (especially in a Data Guard environment) - it sucks.

The "biggest" problem is that brbackup does not update the metadata information in control file (much less RMAN catalog) - thank god SAP implemented a hidden features in BR*Tools that allows you to crosscheck these inconsistencies and remove them afterwards otherwise you were not able to create a standby database with the current snapshot controlfile and so on ...

My suggestion to all of my clients - if you got the knowledge about RMAN - use it instead of brbackup / brrestore.

Regards

Stefan

ivan_martis3
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Stefan and Joe for the help. I have removed the -d option from DB13 backup and managing it currently.

Answers (0)