cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP ME SDK - Eclipse Source Control - CVS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I was wondering how others in the community handled the fact that the ME SDK Eclipse does not support the normal source control using CVS?

I know that this is primarily due to the way that the code base is a "Linked Folder" and not under the normal Workspace, but was wondering how others dealt with this probelm.

I am currently using Tortoise CVS which is a great tool, however it is not as nice as having it tightly integrated with Eclipse.

Is there any future enhancements to the ME SDK Eclipse environment to improve/fix this?

Thanks,

Mike

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

We are not using CVS but we have the same issue with TFS because of the linked folders. The workaround we came up with is to put the whole extension folder under source control. It appears as separate project in Eclipse.

There are several disadvantages related to this approach.

- When you edit a java file it is not automatically checked out and Eclipse is complaining that the file is read only.

- There is no indication under standard SDK projects that particular java file is under source control

- The folder structure in extension project is not easily mapped to SDK Projects

Good luck

Ivan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Ivan,

I agree completely with all of your points. We are also putting the entire "extension" directory into our source control.

Hopefully the SDK team will take this under consideration as an improvment to the environment.

Thanks,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok now we have two votes for this improvement.

0 Kudos

Given that I have never heard of a SC eclipse plugin that handles directory links correctly, I'm inclined to believe that this is an issue with eclipse. The SC plugin should not have to know whether the directory is linked or not, it just needs eclipse to tell it the absolute location and hide details about linked paths.

To fix this problem on the SDK side we would have to move workspace projects from the workspace into the \extension directory. Considering the effort involved for such a change and that for ME 6.1 we are moving to NWDS (where source control is provided out of the box via NWDI/DTR), it's not likely that we will provide a work around.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Troy,

I agree, as I said in my original post, that this was an Eclipse issue and was wondering if there were going to be any improvements. It sounds like there will be, so thank you for your reply. Glad to hear that you knew that it was a problem and are already in the process of fixing it.

I am not familiar with the NWDS. Could you provide some links on this? Will it be replacing the Eclipse environment?

Thanks,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mike,

NWDS stands for NetWeaver Developer Studio. Which is based on Eclipse. Here is the link for more information []

NWDS is a part of NW installation if you have a proper installer.

Thanks

Ivan