cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate to new Virtual machine on VMware

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

One of our SAP system(SOLMAN) is on KVM. We are in the process of retiring KVM and moving it to a VM on VMware. We are planning to do a Virtual 2 Virtual (V2V) copy to move this instance to VMware. After the migration nothing changes including OS, SID, IP and hostname. We have a distributed installation with Apps and db on seperate hardware. This move is only for the Apps. The DB remain as it is and is on a physical server, not a VM.

My question is, whether a V2V copy method is supported by SAP for productive operation, or do we have to do the traditional SAP migration ? Do we get support from SAP if somthing goes wrong after the migration ?

Is there a need for a certified consultatnt to perfomr this kind of harware migration ?

Our SOLMAN (701) is on Red Hat Linux (RHEL 5.4) with oracle database( 10.2.0.4).

Appreciate your help and thoughts on this issue.

Regards

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi believe that being only application servers, the V2V migration will work fine,

and as its only binaries you are moving, there is no real risk, or need for sap support.

best regards.

Former Member
0 Kudos

During the planning phase, thing s got changed and now the direction is to move both Apps and database servers to VM.

So would V2V still work for both of these ?

I have read in forums to d a clean install of OS and then to perform a system copy procedure to be safe for this kind of migration. Clean instal of OS is for avaoding any device driver issues that may arise due to V2V, sicne the hardware differs from source to target. Any comments on this approch ?

Also, I would like to keep the hostname and IP of the target same as the source, to avoid any integration issue aftert the migration. How can I achieve this ?

Are there any other methods to do this migration, facilitating a testing pahse of the target system and minimal downtime during the cutover ?

Thansk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any help appreciated.

former_member189725
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In this kind of a scenerio,its best to re-install the app and copy the required files in the SAP directories , such as SAP TMS related , job logs etc