Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a Universe on Bex Query --- Information Design Tool 4.0

former_member340306
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am creating a Universe on a BeX Query, based on my understanding from the documentation i dont have to create a data foundation layer and i can directly call the connection in the Business Layer.

when I create a business layer and select OLAP connection (BICS connection), I get an error "this connection is not supported".

I was trying to look for a solution but i haven't found anything yet. Did anyone else encounter this issue. Please Share.

Regards,

Sheikh Hassan Ayub

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Do u select option USE THIS QUERY TO EXTERNAL ACCESS in EXTENDED(tab) in QUERY PROPERTIES of BEX.

Thanks

-

Visali Raghava Raju.

Former Member
0 Kudos

yes i did select allow external access...but that does not help in this case.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any help, on how to create a .CNS/CNX universe on top of a OLAP Connection(BW cube/BEX Query) through IDT.

It's still popping the same error

"An error occurred while selecting the connection.

The connection is not supported"

Please help.

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi, (as per email)

Itu2019s not an error, itu2019s a warning.

It means you canu2019t (and donu2019t need to) create a business layer ontop of an OLAP .cns pointing to BEx . So, there are no .UNX universes for BW OLAP access. (but there is still the legacy MDX BAPI universe designer option)

However, you can (create an OLAP UNX) for Essbase and Analysis Services providers . And also the BW u2013SQL federated multisource universe (for cubes, not bex) will prduce a BW universe. (without any of the BEX semantics)

regards,

H

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Do u select option USE THIS QUERY TO EXTERNAL ACCESS in EXTENDED(tab) in QUERY PROPERTIES of BEX.

Thanks

-

Visali Raghava Raju.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI there,

I read somewhere that the support for BEx Queries are done via Relational Connection. However, the BICS connection is only available via OLAP connection.

I was able to successfully create an OLAP Connection with BEx Queries. However when I do a Business Layer with this OLAP connection it says ERROR, not supported.

I havent tested creating a relational and thus having a Data Foundation yet as I am still have issues with my installation with ports.

Anyway, let me know if you are able to create a relational connection.

I'd be interested to hear your experience.

Regards,

Iris

P.S. the connection needs to be published.

Edited by: Iris Co on Nov 2, 2011 6:18 PM

former_member340306
Participant
0 Kudos

Yes, The BICS connection is not supported in IDT as of now, we have to create a universe using Universe Designer (the traditional way)on a BEX query, it will be a relational connection not an OLAP connection.

Regards,

Sheikh Hassan Ayub

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

to clarify - the legacy OLAP .UNV is not a connection : it is OLE DB, that uses an ODA component, to retrieve data via MDX over SAP's OLAP BAPI.

Regards,

H

Former Member
0 Kudos

A few questions:

1) what's the purpose of the BICS OLAP connection option in IDT? If you can't craete a business layer using that what can you do?

2) If I create a Universe in Univery Designer I cannot consume that via explorer. How can I build a UNX file that explorer can see based on a BEx Query?