Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is better Synchronous or asynchronous transports

stephane_lamarche
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi gurus,

I've never got a straight answer on this and would like to understand it better.

What are the pros and cons of Synchronous vs. Asynchronous transports.

Please provide examples on where one mode would be better than the other.

Seems to be something all of us uses everyday and nobody seems to really understand what it's for exactly.

BTW, I know what the text book definition is for those terms. What I would like is to understand when one of them is preferable to the other.

Thanks

Stephane

Edited by: Stephane Lamarche on Oct 27, 2011 9:40 AM

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

stephane_lamarche
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for your answers guys. That answers my question.

But which option is the fastest to run a single trasnport request import?

Seems Synchronous mode is faster to import, am I wrong to think that?

Thanks

Stephane

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Both modes are same for that.

An advantage of synchronous mode is that you don't have to keep on 'refreshing' the import screen or import monitor to know that status of import in progress. So it looks like it is quicker, everything is going in front of your eyes

That's why I avoid asynchronous if it is not 'needed'.

Thanks

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

stephane_lamarche
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Very good.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Theoretically, asynchronous mode is better, this is what I think.

For e.g. When I support a small client (fairly new or small business, small landscape, very few number of concurrent users etc.), I move the transports in 'synchronous' mode because I don't care if an 'SAP process' would remain engaged until 'tp OS process' ends, as I have a plenty of 'SAP Processes' available just for my basis activity - to move the transports.

Other way round for bigger clients (more n more number of concurrent users working at a moment).

Depends on the fact whether you are moving the transports in business hours or business off hours too.

This is just one opinion, considering the number of work processes. Other technical opinions are also there I think.

Rest other colleagues will share their thoughts.

Thanks

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I will go with asynchronous option for transport as when you will opt this option in STMS during transport then your screen will be free for other work and also if you are doing bulk transport then this option is better so that no time out dump will occur if transport takes long time because of dialog work process time limit.

Thanks

Sunny