cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing to use IDOC standard or ABAP Proxy?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All, I will appreciate your comments.

If I ask to internal PI people and SAP as well if we should use ABAP Proxy; all of them are telling me is better to use ABAP Proxy because a lot of things that are clear.

What happen if I have to process an interface that is creating sales orders in SD? I means; SAP is providing me a standard IDOC where I just configure the communication and the IDOC and the standard function runs and create the sales order.

1) Taking that I mentioned before.. should we move to use ABAP Proxy anyway?

2) If I'm making a copy of the standard function to add code to create others documents in the same process.. still make sense to use the IDOC and the z-function (copy of the standard) instead use ABAP Proxy?

Thanks in advance.

Jorge Rosa.

SD consultant.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

For any standard business process wherin Idoc is been provided, that would be the best approach.

There are many advantageous for IDoc.

1. You have an audit of the message.

2. It is standard and do not need to worry abt the code.

3. Provides restart capability also.

On the other hand ABAP proxy are faster since it resides in abap stack. But when it comes to standard IDOC Vs ABAP Proxy, always IDOCS are the preferred route.

Regards

Krish

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oh, Let me correct your comments.. I'm getting an expert thanks you guys.

Actually is wrong think Abap Proxy is Sync; It could be both.. sync or Async. You can check it out.

Your answers were very helpful.

Let me write pros and cons that I'm reach using your comments and some testing.

Abap Proxy

- It not has a WE09: I means, you can't reach to a message knowing for example the purchase order.

+ If you are using a big file, you can move to Abap proxy, It will support the weight and just is storing a XML.

- Technical knowledge required to use it.

- If is need to change something you need PI people and ABAP people, one to change the mapping and the other one to

change the method.

- It is only supporting the connection.

+ Because is needed to create the program to process the data received you can use the BAPI without leavening in a side a

standard code.

IDOCs

+ You can use WE19 to find out which was the IDOC who should create the sales order for example to know what was

wrong.

- If you use big volume of data you will populate several tables with lot of information (IDOCs table).

+ More user-friendly

+ Only ABAP knowledge required (one team).

+ It is supporting the connection and also the functions to process data (Sales order IDOC creation).

- The standard function of IDOCs are using call transaction instead BAPIs.

My conclusion: As all of you mentioned, using IDOCs is better except if your current interface are big files and you don't have a standard IDOC to use to process it.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Jorge Rosa.

SD Consultant.

Edited by: Jorge Rosa on Oct 27, 2011 9:05 PM

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

ABAP Proxy is better in performance than IDoc. Especially for high volume messages abap proxy is better. If your interface is going to be low volume and business requirement makes you to ease idoc than abap proxy then go for IDOC. No problem.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Adding to the above comments.

IDoc are used in Async communication whereas ABAP Proxies are used for Sync communication. Depending on your business requirement and unless you have to do lot of customization IDocs are preferred way of communication.

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello All, I will appreciate your comments.

>

> If I ask to internal PI people and SAP as well if we should use ABAP Proxy; all of them are telling me is better to use ABAP Proxy because a lot of things that are clear.

>

> What happen if I have to process an interface that is creating sales orders in SD? I means; SAP is providing me a standard IDOC where I just configure the communication and the IDOC and the standard function runs and create the sales order.

>

> 1) Taking that I mentioned before.. should we move to use ABAP Proxy anyway?

rule of thumb.

if there is something standard, use it

> 2) If I'm making a copy of the standard function to add code to create others documents in the same process.. still make sense to use the IDOC and the z-function (copy of the standard) instead use ABAP Proxy?

>

> Thanks in advance.

> Jorge Rosa.

> SD consultant.

I will still go for a IDoc in this case since it will provide you with a lot of re-usability