Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FM SUBST_GET_FILE_LIST no longer available in Release 702 ?

alvin_koong2
Discoverer
0 Kudos

We are in the process of upgrading to ECC 6 Release 702. In the new release, the standard Function Module SUBST_GET_FILE_LIST (which is used to get a list of files on an application server directory), has all its code commented out and replaced by a single statment "raise ACCESS_ERROR".

There is an SAP "security" note 1555144 which mentioned FM SUBST_GET_FILE_LIST as a security risk and recommends that FM SUBST_GET_FILE_LIST be disabled using the "raise ACCESS_ERROR" statement. However, there seems to be no mention of an alternative FM or method that can be used to work around the security issue. There is really nothing to stop us from creating our own custom Z version of the FM, but then the security issue will still be there.

Has anyone else out there come across this issue and if so what was your approach in working around this ?

Thanks in advance.

Alvin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

raviahuja
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Use FM 'ISU_M_GET_FILES_OF_DIR'.

Thanks.

Ravi

6 REPLIES 6

raviahuja
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Use FM 'ISU_M_GET_FILES_OF_DIR'.

Thanks.

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

GREAT!

Helped my company a lot. Thank you very much!

0 Kudos

Hi,

If the answer resolved your query, please mark your question as answered,

Thanks.

Ravi

0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Thanks for your response.

I forgot to mention that with FM SUBST_GET_FILE_LIST, you can pass in a file mask and the FM will return the corresponding list of files and this is the ability that we need. The FM you suggested will return a list of all files and although we could filter out the files with some extra coding, it is more than we are willing to take on right now.

Having said that, I discovered a couple of FMs which basically does the same thing as SUBST_GET_FILE_LIST, namely EPS_GET_DIRECTORY_LISTING and EPS2_GET_DIRECTORY_LISTING. These FMs do have extra authority checks embedded and you will need authorization for the S_CTS_SADM authorization object, in order for them to work.

Thanks again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

Interesting conversation

We run into this same issue earlier this year when we did on ERP EHP5 upgrade for our client. At the moment we have a temporary solution to this, but that must replaced soon.

We asked SAP about this SUBST_GET_FILE_LIST function, and in short the answer was, well, you should not have used it because the status of that function module is Not Released. Fair enough, we really should not have used that since like they said, 'Not Released' basically means it is for internal use and they can and will change those function modules when and how they want, like they just did with this FM.

So, we asked if they have replacement for that FM. Answer was a reference to a note which tells us what is consulting and what is OSS case, meaning, either that they won't tell or they don't have a replacement.

We then searched and searched and found few nice candidates for replacement, also the ones mentioned here. But the problem with all of this function modules is the same, the status of them is 'Not Released'. Our client does not want to replace one burned function module with another 'Not Released' function module (and to be honest, neither do I), so we are in a limbo at the moment.

We do have some ideas (create our own function module which would use external command the read files etc.) but I really find it strange that there does not seem to be an official solution for this. Well, maybe when more and more clients upgrade to Netweaver 7.02, maybe then something happens.

Petri

alejandro_bindi
Active Contributor

I'm in almost the same situation now, the difference being that I still have the f.m. active.

I used it precisely after finding out that EPS_GET_DIRECTORY_LISTING did those authority checks. I had a couple of other alternatives but as it has also been mentioned, those don't provide an option to filter out the results from the start. They get ALL the files and afterwards filter by pattern, which is time consuming.

Also, all these suffer from the same problem, which is the really short length of the parameters.

So, did anyone find a better solution / replacement?