cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can these Oracle commands substitute BRTools Table Reorgan. ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

- make sure the tablespace is Auto Segment Space Management (ASSM)

- ALTER TABLE table_name ENABLE ROW MOVEMENT;

- ALTER TABLE table_name SHRINK SPACE COMPACT;

- ALTER TABLE table_name SHRINK SPACE;

Can these Oracle commands substitute the BRTools Table Reorgan. function ?

Do they ( I meant these 3 commands vs BRTools Table Reorgan. function ) do the same or similar things to us ?

Or they are substantially different ?

My colleague did SAP data archive then I tried to execute BRTools Table Reorgan. but got SAP UNIX system hang.

Thus, I have to find another way to release the free space from the archived table.

If these Oracle command can release a table's free space to us in an online mode, I will consider to use it instead.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Ming,

Or they are substantially different ?

They are different - if you want to do it the same way as brspace - use the PL/SQL package DBMS_REDEFINITION:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/appdev.112/e16760/d_redefi.htm

For example the "free space" in the index tree will not be released / re-allocated. The ROWIDs are maintained but it is not rebuilt.

My colleague did SAP data archive then I tried to execute BRTools Table Reorgan. but got SAP UNIX system hang.

I really doubt that this issue is caused by BR*Tools. Which kind of errors did you receive or what kind of situation (like wait events, etc.) did you have on database level?

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ming,

First of all, I suggest to fix hang situtation on brtools. So, you can safely reorganize the table. On the other hand, read the documentation for the online reorg on Oracle

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/availability/ha-10gr2-online-reorg-twp-131644.pd...

To reorg the table, you should move or export the content and related objects to an interim table. Then, import it back.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

But can I use them instead ?

- make sure the tablespace is Auto Segment Space Management (ASSM)

- ALTER TABLE table_name ENABLE ROW MOVEMENT;

- ALTER TABLE table_name SHRINK SPACE COMPACT;

- ALTER TABLE table_name SHRINK SPACE;

We can't endure one more time SAP production system hang.