cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Padding property in Destination Item tab in MDM Syndicator is not working

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

We are working with MDM 7.1 SP7. We are storing the Vendor number in a Tuple field. Our requirement is to pass 10 digit Vendor number to PI through XML output from syndicator i.e. Only If the field value has a character length is less than ten then syndicator should add leading zeroes to the value to make the character length as 10 else pass the 10 digit Vendor number as it is. So we set the following property in the Destination Item Properties tab in Syndicator to aceive this in XML Output.

u2022 Max Item Length =10

u2022 Padding= Leading

u2022 Pad Character=0

The order in which the formatting properties gets applied as per the syndicator guide is as follows :

1. Max item Length is applied

2. Padding is applied

This configuration works perfectly fine it the character length of the field value is < 10. For eg: if the field value is u201C12345u201D it makes it u201C0000012345u201D

But , if the Character length of the field value is =10 then, syndicator still pads it with one u201C0u201D and removes the last digit to make the count as 10.

Eg: Field Value = u201C4789456329u201D

Expected Value in XML = u201C4789456329u201D

Actual value in output XML =u201C0478945632u201D--- the value got padded with one leading u201C0u201D and the last digit u201C9u201D is erased.

So, is this a bug or my understanding of the property is incorrect.

If yes, Is there any fix or workaround available for this .

Please help.

Best Regards

PTM

Edited by: PT MANOJ on Oct 26, 2011 4:05 AM

Edited by: PT MANOJ on Oct 26, 2011 4:05 AM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member207367
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Manoj,

To understand your requirement more...

How does the record gets created in MDM is it through Data manager or Portal?

If its in portal you can add the logic of adding zeros and submit to MDM Data Manager through some functions based on the vendor Type.

regards

Sowseel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manoj,

Yes it seems to be a bug.

I guess setting it as 11 should help your cause,can you please test what is the behavior with Max digits as 11.

Please revert with results.

Thanks,

Ravi

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Manoj,

I feel you are setting the property in the right way, and This looks like a bug. Please check with SAP on this...

As a workaround, I would suggest to Pass only field value from MDM, and in PI apply logic for padding extra characters to make it 10 character... This can easily be done in PI.

Lets wait for experts to comment on this..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shiv,

SAP PI can add leading zeros easily if the text type of Vendor number is Numeric, but if it is Alphanumeric then PI has to write a custom Java code to do it. If PI would be the option, then I would not recommend that, rather I would enhance the Function module at ECC to acheive this as this requirement is specifically required in ECC for Idoc posting.

I was looking for some standard and easy way of doing it.

Thanks

Manoj

former_member205403
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Manoj,

I would say first you should check with SAP, if they can provide some correction/workaround in MDM. if not then achieve padding in PI instead of enhancing ECC function module, because achieving this in PI is much more easier and less effort in PI then ECC. This is what I feel...

Regards,

Shiv

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Manoj,

Along with the configurations you have done in Syndicator,try enabling Leading Characters to Strip.

I am expecting syndicator to strip from the leading character instead of trailing character to make the field length 10.

Thanks,

Ravi