cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to ensure msgsrv is visible w/ central saplogon.ini when server is down

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello

we use an installation server to install the SAP GUI 7.20 (PL 😎 on the clients. Everything works well. We use the central saplogon.ini configuration to have it a little easier to administrate the logon. We use a webserver where the saplogon.ini, saplogontree.xml (and so on) are stored.

My question is now: How do we ensure that the clients can connect to the SAP systems when the webserver is not running? Of course the webserver is high available but as you might know, it is always possible that the server crashes or something (unexpected) else happens.

The only way that comes to my mind is to put a (non-central) saplogon.ini on all clients (via group policy).

Or is there a more elegant way to ensure that?

Regards,

Jann

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

fredrik_borlie
Contributor
0 Kudos

Could you script the SAP Logon Launcher to copy these files to the local PC everytime the user starts SAP Gui.

Locate the saplogon.s8l file and open it with texteditor.

It will look similar to this:

[Shell]
Iconfile=C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP\FrontEnd\sapgui\saplogon.exe,0
[InstServer]
SapSrcDir="C:\Users\freppe\AppData\Local\Temp\Temp.Sap\gui720_6-10007878\Sap2359"
[PreExecute]
Exe="NwSapSetup.exe"
Cmd="/Update"
[Execute]
Exe="C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP\FrontEnd\sapgui\saplogon.exe"
Cmd=""
Src="sapgui\saplogon.exe"

Here you can enter own execution steps when SAPlogon is called.

Write an own code that copies the inifiles locally and start SAP-gui

Strange is there is almost no documentation on this launcher.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you freppe and Greg, I guess just in case I will push the local .ini to the clients and hope this will never happen... But I am not quite happy with this situation.

Regards,

Jann

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am running the same setup - .xml and .ini on a web server.

I have been doing some testing with Windows 7 clients - there is a caching that happens with the central .ini file, but I haven't been able to drill down into the appdata area of the sapgui install on Windows 7 to find out how long it is good for and how it stores it. Upon reboot it does clear, so if your webserver isn't up - it won't populate.

The problem with dropping a local .ini in your distribution is that they are going to have the entries in their server list twice. The central files will show up in gray on top and the locals on the bottom in black. I am serving ~60,000 clients and that is the number one complaint - the length of the list (and I don't even do the local!!).