cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP MDM - Export to Excel - "Could not launch Microsoft Excel"

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am not able to export data from MDM Data Manager to Excel format.

Error: "Could not launch Microsoft Excel. Verify that Microsoft Excel is installed on the computer. The export operation will now abort"

I have found two threads about this:

- Export to Excel Error () Jun 8, 2011

- Excel 2010 export from Data Manager () Nov 16, 2010

I have Excel 2010 installed.

Note 1486808 explains incompatibility with Excel 2010.

Has this not yet been fixed?

Please advice on any solutions to this problem.

Degrading MS Excel is not an option.

Thanks,

Thomas

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am a lazy bugger so i don't want to write it in english. So please use google to understand the best language in the world which is the french (i am almost kidding).

MDM DM cherche excel en faisant des appels à une fonction "CLSIDFromProgID" (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms688386%28v=vs.85%29.aspx) pour chercher via la registry le CLSID du programme correpondant au progID.

Bref que fait MDM DM ? Il cherche un progID tel que :

- d'abord "Excel.application.12"

- puis "Excel.application.11"

- puis "Excel.application.10"

- puis "Excel.application.9"

- puis "Excel.application.8"

Voici les correpondances :

Microsoft Office Excel 2003

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11

Microsoft Excel 2002

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10

Microsoft Excel 2000

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office

Microsoft Office Excel 2007

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12

Microsoft Office Excel 2010

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14

SAP aurait été plus malin de gérer la clef de version indépendante mais non ils ne l'ont pas fait donc MDM DM ne connait rien au-dessus de la 2007.

En ajoutant des clefs de registres 11 en sus de celles en 14 (il n'y en a pas beaucoup) l'export vers Excel 2010 devient fonctionnel.

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Merci beaucoup. C'était une explication très utile. Google translate a fait le tour, car je ne peux pas comprendre un seul mot de la langue. Et félicitations avec la victoire d'hier dans le biathlon. Bien mérité.

Former Member
0 Kudos

MDM DM seeks excel by making calls to a function " CLSIDFromProgID " ( http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms688386%28v=vs.85%29.aspx ) to look through the registry of the CLSID matching program progID .

In short, that makes MDM DM ? It seeks progID as :

- First " Excel.application.12 "

- Then " Excel.application.11 "

- Then " Excel.application.10 "

- Then " Excel.application.9 "

- Then " Excel.Application.8 "

Here are correpondances :

Microsoft Office Excel 2003

C: \ Program Files \ Microsoft Office \ Office11

Microsoft Excel 2002

C: \ Program Files \ Microsoft Office \ Office10

Microsoft Excel 2000

C: \ Program Files \ Microsoft Office \ Office

Microsoft Office Excel 2007

C: \ Program Files \ Microsoft Office \ Office12

Microsoft Office Excel 2010

C: \ Program Files \ Microsoft Office \ Office14

SAP would have been smarter to manage the key independent version, but no they have not done so MDM DM does not know anything beyond 2007 .

By adding key registers 11 in addition to those in 14 (there are not many ) export to Excel 2010 becomes functional .

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!

Hacene, Keerthi, thank you very much for the answer! Couldn't you write in detail, what to do? I have the same problem and I'm veeery slow about it

Where should I add key registers and what exactly to add? Excuse my stupidity...

Thank you in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alexandra,

I understand it can be tricky to understand the solution as a year after it was hard for me to understand what I wrote.

So :

1st : start "regedit" or "regedit32" (windows Key + R then type regedit)

2nd : look for the subchain "Excel.application"

3rd : you can see the version installed on your workstation (for your information the 2013 office version use the number 15)

4th : add a new key "name : version of office "11" and data : "Excel.application.11" to pretend it is also installed on your workstation.

So MDM DM will look for "Excel.application.11" and would find it then will use the CLSID correponding to your real office version.

Hope it is more clear now.

Regards,

Hacene C.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hacene, thank you very much! Now it's much more clear!=) I'll try this way as soon as possible and report about results.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi!

At last my user has tried your method and now everything works correctly!

Thank you one more time!

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

another simple solution to this issue will be.

Data should be exported to Access file(MS Access)  instead of text file.

Here once the Access file is opened, there will be one column on left side and contains your data under "Tables" tab. In this tab right click on your file, which gives option to Export. Here you can export that file to Excel.

Here multi-valued field are also gets exported in Access file. you can also do some sorting in Access file using Query design option and then export it to Excel file.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

Try doing "Save As" with the same file and save it as .XLS,and retry connecting to IM.

Let me know your findings.

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Mandeep and Ravi,

Exporting a text file and "transforming" it in Excel works fine as long as the fields exported are not multi-valued.

It was not straight forward to structure the multi-value fields.

According to the note from July 2010, 1486808, MDM did not support Office 2010 "At the moment".

Is it possible that SAP still has not fixed this?

We have just patched up MDM, and still it does not work.

Do you know where I can find the "SAP Product Availability Matrix (PAM)", which is mentioned in the note?

Thanks,

Thomas

cweissheimer
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

-Support for MS Office 2010 has been added in MDM 7.1 SP08.

You can check that information on the MDM Master guide, available at http://service.sap.com/installmdm71.

-Find the Product Availability Matrix here:

service.sap.com/pam (type mdm in the search area).

BR,

Carlos

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thomas,

As per my understanding, MDM does not support Excel 2010.

Degrading MS Excel is not an option.

Just try out in this way, I am not quite sure. So please check if it works for you.

Export Text file using MDM Data Manager which you can easily do. Save this Txt file on your desktop. Now open your MS-Excel 2010, Go to File-->Open, Select this txt file (exported from MDM). Now try saving the excel file as Save As option.

Just check and revert with result.

Regards,

Mandeep Saini