cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem sending external emails

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

we are trying to have our SAP system send mails to external customers and are having problems. The mails that we send to our internal users are working fine.

we are on ECC6 and using a Microsoft exchange 2007 mail server. Our servers are outsourced.

The things that we have done so far are:

• we have look at note 455140 and have that in place.

• we have a user set up in SU01 with the external address.

• we have sent our SAP IP address to the mail support team and they authenticated in SMTP relay.

• we have configured SCOT and able to send emails internal users. *.mycompany.com

• we have checked the mail functions that can be used within ABAP code to see if there is a way to authenticate to the server with a user id and password.

we can see that the emails are getting sent to the SMTP server but are being blocked at that point. our mail support team is stating that our problem is that we are not authenticating to the SMTP server. They are telling us that we have to sign in with a userid and password every time that we want to send a mail.

please let us know if there is something else that we need to do in order to get this work. if there is someone in here that is running ECC6 with a Microsoft exchange 2007 mail server that is successfully sending emails to external customers ( we have no issues with internal emails), can you please let us know what steps you have performed in order to get the process to work.

Edited by: Timothy Hixson on Oct 24, 2011 8:43 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

SAP does not support authentication in SMTP.

So, in order to send email to your external client, you need to install Relay agent between your SAP system and mail server which will authenticate to your mail server. Then it will work.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sunny

thanks for the reply. we found the link below that explains how to relay off of a Exchange server.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2006/12/28/3397620.aspx

is this what we would need to do? also, who would be responsibile for this task. would it be the SAP BASIS team or would it be the group that supports the mail servers

thanks again for the help

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

is this what we would need to do? also, who would be responsibile for this task. would it be the SAP BASIS team or would it be the group that supports the mail servers

Yes, that what you need to do, If you have a Mail team just ask them to add the IP Address of your SAP Servers into the SMTP Relay Agent and that should fix your issue.

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you have a Mail team just ask them to add the IP Address of your SAP Servers into the SMTP Relay Agent and that should fix your issue

we have asked the mail team to do this and they have responded that they did. They are telling us that we have to authenicate to the mail server.

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If you have a Mail team just ask them to add the IP Address of your SAP Servers into the SMTP Relay Agent and that should fix your issue

>

> we have asked the mail team to do this and they have responded that they did. They are telling us that we have to authenicate to the mail server.

I would suggest to discuss with your mail team that SAP does not support authentication mechanism in SMTP. So, install one relay agent between SAP system and mail server so that when mails are sent from SAP system to relay agent then relay agent will authenticate to your mail server and mail will be sent then.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

who would be responsible for this task. would it be the SAP BASIS team or would it be the group that supports the mail servers

You're the one able to answer this question because it depends only from your company's organization.

In my company, I did install the SMTP relay because it was a specific SAP team need and we would have waited months to get it from the Exchange team.

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have sent the information from this thread to our mail server group for them to look at and possibly set up the relay.

I will let you know when they respond.

thanks for the help from each one of you.

points will be rewarded when I close the thread.

Tim

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Timothy,

> tx SCOT : make sure SMTP is configured with "support address type: Internet" .... click SET, Address area should be *

make sure the default domain is setup (setting >> default domain).... Also make sure the send job is running

> tx SOST : check if you messages appear