Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DMS_MASS_UPLOAD_HELP

former_member202372
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Team,

We are implementing SAP in one of the client's place.

He has been using other ERP but some how has been saving all drawing files in to PC.

Now initially while implementing DMS how to do mass upload of all available drawings and link the materials in object links for all in mass.

As its imlementation stage we need to do it mass upload once before sign off.

As i am new to SAP pleas help on the same.

Regards,

satish

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member202372
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Pradeep and Mangesh,

Your replies helped me a lot. I am following the same and its working.If i get any specific doubts i will get in touch again. Thanks a lot

MangeshP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Satishs

Welcome!!

Mangesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satish,

Presume all the necessary homework(Identifying Document types,Number ranges,Workstation application, Attributes, Content Server sizing etc) has been completed prior to the migration sign off.

..As i am new to SAP pleas help on the same..

Else, blindly jumping in would be a perfect recipe for disaster. BDC is also an option that you can explore for mass upload.

Regards,

Pradeepkumar Haragoldavar

former_member202372
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Pradeep,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. It was very good input from your end. I have below few doubts please help me on the same,

1) Here currently customer is using pdf, doc, cad extension files dwg, and excel only, I feel only one document type will be enough or any thoughts on this please suggest.

2) Should we maintain separate server for storing all the DIR related data, I feel yes. I feel we should use content server and then link the same to permanent storage area in server and i need to tell this to basis guy. If anything more i need to ask please guide me on this.

3) Which one is the best LSMW or BDC for mass upload and will this automatically link to the material master and other objects.

Sorry for long mail but need help please.

Regards,

satish

MangeshP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Satishss,

Migrating the legacy data to SAP should always be a cautious process.

Folling is my reply for your queries.

1) Here currently customer is using pdf, doc, cad extension files dwg, and excel only, I feel only one document type will be enough or any thoughts on this please suggest.

That may not be true completely. Here as a functional consultant you have to decide or guide client how many document tyes are needed. There is no thumb rule.

2) Should we maintain separate server for storing all the DIR related data, I feel yes. I feel we should use content server and then link the same to permanent storage area in server and i need to tell this to basis guy. If anything more i need to ask please guide me on this.

Here you need to install the content server.Offcourse content server is installed by Basiis. But prior to that we need to do the sizing of content server.Based on which client will procure the hardware for CS.

3) Which one is the best LSMW or BDC for mass upload and will this automatically link to the material master and other objects.

Just discuss with your ABAP consultant. I used BAPI method. I created A report using "BAPI_DOCUMENT)CREAT2"

With Warm Regards

Mangesh Pande

former_member202372
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Mangesh,

It was really great and helpful answer.

I need one more clarification " What does Sizing of server means". What actions should i take. Please explain me in detail, as i have not done this before and this is my first work in DMS.

In later stages if i get any doubt in BAPI i will surely discuss with you again.

Regards,

Satish

MangeshP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Satishs

Please check this link.

[http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/PLM/ContentServerSizing+Approach]

Use this link to get the guide on how to carry out content server sizing.

[https://websmp106.sap-ag.de/~form/sapnet?_SHORTKEY=01100035870000514574]

With Warm Regards

Mangesh Pande

Edited by: MANGESH PANDE on Nov 1, 2011 11:50 AM

amit_maheshwari2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can mass upload the SAP DMS documents with originals and object links using LSMW. Search the forum with LSMW keyword, you will get lots of pointers how you can upload the documents through LSMW.

Cheers

Amit