Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding Online Redo log backup

former_member409456
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I am running "Whole database online + Redo log backup" in production server which running successfully with return code 0000.

Is this backup takes online redo log file also?????? because in backup log i didn't see any directory like .../../orilog A, .../../orilog B etc which contains online redo log file.

Without this online redo log backup i don't thing we can do point to point recovery.

I am beginner for oracle so please clear this doubt.

thanks,

Tarun

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

because in backup log i didn't see any directory like .../../orilog A, .../../orilog B etc which contains online redo log file.

Offline redo logs will be backed up, not online.

/oracle/SID/oraarch or /oracle/SID/saparch contents will be backed up. Are you able to see either of these two directories and it's redo log files in the 'backup log' ?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

That job should be taking off the logs too (although you should look up the save, copy, delete functionality to avoid any possible confusion of logs remaining after the first backup.... if it is set).

Have a look in /oracle/SID/saparch or /oracle/SID/oraarch for the redo logs.

former_member409456
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi ,

I checked the both directory oracle/../oraarch and /oracle/.../saparch

Oraarch having offline redo log file and saparch having redo log backup log file, but both of this related to offline redo log backup.

I want to know about online redolog backup??? Is it possible to take or not??? and how we can check online redo log backup is running or not??

Presently i am taking redo log backup with -cds option and i thing this is totally offline redo log backup.

Thanks,

Former Member
0 Kudos

> Oraarch having offline redo log file and saparch having redo log backup log file, but both of this related to offline redo log backup.

>

> I want to know about online redolog backup??? Is it possible to take or not??? and how we can check online redo log backup is running or not??

You have offline redo log files in 'oraarch' --> this means that 'online redo logs' are getting backed up into 'oraarch'.

sql > archive log list

http://www.adp-gmbh.ch/ora/sqlplus/archive_log.html

Above command tells whether the logging is ON or not. If it is ON, then online logs will be generated w.r.t. every sap work and as soon as the online logs gets filled up - it gets backed up into 'oraarch' - to accommodate more logging with time.

Thanks

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tarun,

If you keep the parameter backup_mode = full in initSID.sap file,

then online log files from origlogxx will also be backed up and restored when required.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

former_member409456
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi deepak,

I am using backup_mode=All in initSID.sap file.

Also i have scheduled "whole DB online + redo log backup" in DB13 for daily.

Please tell me one thing by the above job, point to point recovery is possible or nor???

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

For point in time recovery, you need 'whole DB online + redo log backup' + Redo logs which are generated after this backup till before the point/time the database/system crashes

Thanks

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tarun,

By your method , you can have point to point recovery.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

former_member409456
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Thanks for the reply.

I got the below doc from help.sap.com which have completely cleared my doubt :

Backed up data files are inconsistent without the redo log files

If used for a recovery, the online backup must be supplemented with the redo log files archived during the backup. To make sure that the last online redo log file from the backup is safely archived, you should perform a redo log switch immediately after the backup. An online backup done with SAPu2019s BRBACKUP tool does this automatically.

You could perform an online backup by first running BRBACKUP to save data files and then running BRARCHIVE immediately afterwards, to save the archived redo log files belonging to the backup.

Again thanks for you reply.