cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAPGUI 7.20 patch level 7 crashes while working in ALV using drop downs

0 Kudos

We have a set of users that work mostly in ALV transactions and can have a few open at the same time. They also use the drop downs quite frequently switching back and forth between ALV's. After working like this for awhile SAPGUI crahses.

Unfortunately we have not been able to re-create this issue so I have not entered an OSS message. The only constant is using ALV & drop downs.

We have done the following:

Patched the GUI - no help

upgraded pc's - These user received new pc's with higher memory & Windows 7 this helped slow down the amount of crashes occurring but did not eliminate them.

We have monitored the memory on the pc & that does not seem to be the issue.

Searched OSS, Google & SDN

They are using the Signature View and IE 8 .

Has anyone else experienced these issues or maybe have some suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks,

Diane Szmurlo

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Diane,

Are all users that use ALV affected?

First step would be running an installation check (run nwcheckworkstation command).

If no errors are reported,then ask the end users to recreate the issue again with the automation trace

activated.

Instructions for this can be found in note 158985.

If there are errors in the automation trace, paste any lines with errors into the reply.

Best Regards,

Jude

0 Kudos

Thanks for the response Jude.

I cannot say that all ALV users are affected or at least they are not reporting it. This particular group of users mainly works in ALV & with very large amount of data loaded into the ALV.

I watched the user this morning. She is filling in data using drop downs & ctrl C and ctrl V, just s few fields at a time. There was a note about copying large amount of data in ALV but that has been fixed & we have that patch.

I ran the nwcheckworkstation and it came back ok.

I wanted to trace the GUI but we cannot recreate the issue. So the trace would have to be running for sometime before the user crashes which is not even a guarantee and I am not too sure that is a good idea since traces usually produce large files. Also not too sure which GUI component to trace.

Diane

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Diane,

Does the SAPGUi disappear when it crashes? or do you get a 'Crash' hourglass and it fails to respond.

You are correct about the limitations of the size of data that can be pasted in ALV.

What is the basis version used in your system? It shoud read something similiar to SAPKBXXXX eg:SAPKB70021

0 Kudos

When the SAPGUI crashes I believe for a few seconds there is an hourglass/freeze then all SAP sessions close. Although if I look in SAP (SM51) the user still shows sessions. Usually I have to delete those sessions to release any locks they might have had.

We just applied Support Packs this summer so we are at SAP_BASIS 700 23 SAPKB70023.

Yesterday, she was doing very similar work to the day before & she crashed almost at the exact time, it was after approximately 3 hours of working. It seems like there is a limitation reached & the GUI just crashes. Today I am going to start the SAPGUI trace slightly before the 3 hours.

Thanks for your input!

Diane

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Diane,

If the Gui crashes and all sessions are lost, then we need a adplus trace.

I woud advise first testing with patch 8 (latest patch) and if the issue persists,then I would advise raising a message.

Before you raise a message,please recrate the issue with an adplus trace active as per note 1387962,

then upload the file to the message.

jude_bradley
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Diane,

Forgot to mention, when you are opening the ticket, please provide an R/3 logon and steps to recreate the issue,even if

it's only an intermittent issue.

Best Regards,

Jude

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Update your SAP GUI to PL 8. See note 1607317 for the description of this error.

Hope this helped.

Regards,

Jann