cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many BW 7.3 systems can be connected to one HANA database?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

For Development,Test and sandbox environments customer likes to share one HANA database for multiple SAP BW systems.

So how many BW 7.3 systems can be connected one HANA database (ofcourse on single HANA appliance)?

Can i install multiple HANA Databases on single HANA hardware?

Can someone help me on these questions.

Thanks.

Srikar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member93896
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Back to the original question...

Being able to consolidate several SAP systems to run on a single HANA database is a long-term vision. For 20+ years separating development, qa and, production into completely independent environments (separate hardware, separate database, etc) has been proven to be incredibly successful.

Therefore - even with HANA 1.0 SPS 3 - the general recommendation remains to install each system on its own HANA appliance/database.

Regards,

Marc

SAP Customer Solution Adoption (CSA)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Srikar!

Today, HANA 1.0 SP3 was released.

From now on, you can run ONE BW in the HANA, without a tradional Database.

You can connect as many systems as you want with the HANA (also 3 BWs).....The problem is, that you only have 1 system, which is able to put the data real-time into the HANA via SLT...the other systems will load their data via ETL into HANA...

Best regards.

tomas-krojzl
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

i would suggest reading this blog:

Today, HANA 1.0 SP3 was released.

I was not able to find it in downloads - are you sure it is already released?

You can connect as many systems as you want with the HANA (also 3 BWs).....The problem is, that you only have 1 system, which is able to put the data real-time into the HANA via SLT...the other systems will load their data via ETL into HANA...

I am not aware about any such restriction. It should be possible to have as many SLT systems replicated as you like. Can you explain why only one SLT is possible?

Tomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Srikar,

As per your case, you need to wait to make HANA as your DB coz as of now HANA is an appliance which is not a fully funtional Database. You can connect various SAP/nonSAP system to it via JDBC/ODBC controllers with the help of SAP HANA Studio.

Once SAP HANA (In memory Database) will be released you can have one DB for various components which may release within year or an half.

If you wana install multiple HANA your cost will increase as you need to buy licenses from SAP.. Confirm with your channel partner.

PY

Vitaliy-R
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Prateek, honestly you are introducing confusion with your posts.

- HANA db currently is the database, even if it has its own variations comparing to ANSI SQL.

- You do not use HANA Studio to connect external systems, but do it rather from external systems after deployment of HANA clients on their machines.

- Having Dev/Test/sandbox on one HANA machine is not a question of SAP licenses - non-Prod licenses are included for free with HANA Prod license. It is more a matter of performance and supportability of such an option.

For the good of the community, please make sure your posts are well thought through and contain correct information.

Thank you,

-Vitaliy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Technically I can say that we can install multiple HDBS into one system, for testing purpose I did multiple instances in my local desktop system ( 79, 75) and I am able to connect both HDBS.

So letu2019s in real time itu2019s depend on seizing of Database.

Thanks & Regards

Rao

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Rao,

with enough physical RAM and space in the filesystem, it is technically no problem to install several HANA database instances on any SLES 11 SP1 server.

The initial question was whether SAP supports that several BW 7.3 instances can be connected to a single HANA appliance (= certified hardware). And this question is not yet answered by SAP.

Regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

I agree with you, we need wait for sap confirmation and my intention is technically is possible. but need to wait until Nov 7

thanks

Rao

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have BW HANA PoC request from several customers.

So need to make a decision before the purchase of HANA.

Thanks for responding to my post.

Srikar

Former Member
0 Kudos

According to SAP's roadmaps this feature is planned for the HANA release after HANA 1.0 SP3. For the upcoming HANA 1.0 SP3 SAP hasn't decided yet, but once the ramp-up starts on November 7th this question will be answered. So we only have to wait 3 more weeks.

Vitaliy-R
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Service Pack Stack 3 for HANA 1.0 has not been yet released, so there are no definitive answers to your question.

But may I ask you what would be the reason to put all tiers into one system?

Thanks,

-Vitaliy