cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle installation on linux cluster

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a Linux Cluster to install SAP, do i need to install Oracle database software on both the nodes or only on virtual host, bcoz on windows i have learnt that for MSCS Configuration we need to install database software on both Nodes

for OFS.

Karthik

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Rajesh,

As i surffed a lot in the forum some say you need to install software on both nodes some say just install on virtual host

so iam bit confused thanks for the reply.

you mean

useradd ora<SID> dba, <SID>adm sapsys,

Please help me how to copy user profiles

and secondly how about services part (SAPService<SID>,and more i belive)

And i also read about OCFS (RAC) where entire Oracle Home is installed on Virtual Host and no need to do any thing more on any of the nodes, then cant we use OCFS for normal 2 node cluster (without RAC), if yes then how to configure OCFS for normal cluster.

Thanks

Karthik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karthik,

>> And i also read about OCFS (RAC) where entire Oracle Home is installed on Virtual Host and no need to do any thing more on any of the nodes, then cant we use OCFS for normal 2 node cluster (without RAC), if yes then how to configure OCFS for normal cluster.

As far as I know that shared oracle home is part of OCFS2 and you are not able to use OCFS without RAC

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

useradd ora<SID> dba, <SID>adm sapsys,

you can see the UID and GUID from the Node-1 by looking at /etc/passwd and /etc/group files.

You should use the same UID and GUID while creating users on second node. There is a command options for providing UID and GUID while creating users and groups.

For example:

groupadd dba -g <guid>
groupadd sapsys -g <guid>

useradd ora<SID> -u <uid> -g dba -G <secondary_group> -d /home/ora<sid> 
useradd <sid>adm -u <uid> -g sapsys -G <secondary_group> -d /home/<sid>adm

You can go through the man pages of above command or search google for the same.

Please help me how to copy user profiles

You can copy profiles using "scp" command.

For example to copy ora<sid> users profile, logon to first node and use below command

#scp .db_env.sh ora<sid>@node2_ip:/home/ora<sid>
(enter ora<sid> password of second node)

and secondly how about services part (SAPService<SID>,and more i belive)

SAPServiceSID used in Windows environment not Unix. In linux OPS$<username> is used for Database authentication.

And i also read about OCFS (RAC) where entire Oracle Home is installed on Virtual Host and no need to do any thing more on any of the nodes, then cant we use OCFS for normal 2 node cluster (without RAC), if yes then how to configure OCFS for normal cluster.

If you place all mount points beginning from "/oracle" on SAN mount points (Cluster Package) you wont really require OCFS and it works for non-RAC oracle system. The reason is all database filesystem will get switched to second node in switchover. what you need is to sync user environment for ora<sid> and <sid>adm (UID, GUID and Login profiles...)

When you install Database Instance, use virtual hostname of your DB package.

Linux admin of your IT team may help you to do this...

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

1 I start sapinst with option SAPINST USE_HOST_NAME = <VIRTUAL HOSTNAME> for Database instance installation,

so it will create users and groups on the virtual host not on any physical Node.

Now at one point it will stop and prompt you to install Database Software and run some scripts

Now where i have to install Database software ( Virtual Host or on both the Nodes) if i have to install DB Software on Both the Nodes then How SAPINST will recognize it as it is started on Virtual host not on any physical Node. and it will be waiting for your confirmation of DB software on Virtual Host

Please Help

Karthik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

When you use "virtual hostname" for DB installation, it will create and configure oracle configuration files (listner.ora, tnsnames.ora etc.) using virtual hostname.

SAP inst will create user locally where DB package is running. That is the reason you need to manually sync users, groups and their login profiles on second node.

If your $ORACLE_HOME (/oracle/SID?102_64) is located on shared storage (DB package) it will be available on second node after switchover...

SAP will use "virtual hostname" of DB instance for all SAP instance. So that It will be available even DB is running on any one of the cluster nodes.

Hope, it clear now...

Rajesh Narkhede

former_member182505
Contributor
0 Kudos

hi

use virtual host name for installation\

and $oracle_home on shared disk.

first install on node1 .

then copy the /home /etc /service to second node

and create soft link for profiles as per node1 and node2.

that will help you

thanks

sadiq

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh

Thanks For your Kind Reply

You mean to say those whose shared storage is not on SAN should go for DB S/W on both the nodes.or in other words who will choose to install DB Software on both the Nodes ?

And last thing what is that service name OPS$<username> whats that username is it OPS$ ORASID or SIDADM or ???

Karthik

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have a Linux Cluster to install SAP, do i need to install Oracle database software on both the nodes or only on virtual host,

If your mount point "/oracle/SID/102_64" is located on shared storage and a part of cluster resource (package), you need not install it on second node.

What you need to do is, just create ora<sid> and <sid>adm user manually with exactly same UID on second node. You also need to create same SAP and Oracle groups with same GUID on second node. After that, you can copy the login profiles from first node to another to sync the user environment.

You should not get any problem after switchover.

Regards.

Rajesh Narkhede

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karthik,

>> do i need to install Oracle database software on both the nodes or only on virtual host

You should install Oracle database software on both nodes.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik