cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP kernel 7.20 downward compatible on Netweaver 7.01

leon_johnson3
Explorer
0 Kudos

We are in the process of installing support packs on our BI system (Netweaver 7.01 EHP1 stack 10) and I need to know if

I can upgrade the kernel to 7.20 or stay with 7.01. Based on the guide, "Support Package Stack Guide SAP NetWeaver 7.0 Including Enhancement Package 1 SPS10" , the 7.20 kernel is downward compatible.

On page 16, the note reads, "As of Support Package 09 you can update your system with SAP Kernel 7.20, instead of SAP Kernel 7.01.".

In OSS, there is an OSS note "1616251 - Downward Compatible Kernel 720 Pilot Project". Which information do i follow?

I have already posted a note in OSS, but I was wondering if anyone has experienced this yet? Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for sharing this useful information as I never heard this before.

As per my understanding, Kernel version 720 is based upon netweaver release 702. Since your system release is 701, so, in principle running 701 release system on 720 kernel can create a lot of problems.

But as per SAP note 1616251, it might be possible but as it is mentioned in the note it is available to limited customer and you need to register with SAP for the same.

Please do share the information that you will get from SAP on this.

Thanks

Sunny

leon_johnson3
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks for responding Sunny. The information is contradictory. The implementation guide for support stack 10 says as of support pack 9 you can upgrade to kernel version 7.20. I'll be interested to see what SAP has to say.

naveen_kumar1
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Everybody,

The usage of the 7.20 (EXT) kernel as a downward-compatible kernel is supported for the following SAP NetWeaver releases and the products that are based on these SAP NetWeaver releases:

o SAP NetWeaver 7.0 ("7.00")

o SAP EhP 1 for SAP NetWeaver 7.0 ("7.01")

o SAP NetWeaver 7.1 ("7.10")

o SAP EhP 1 for SAP NetWeaver 7.1 ("7.11")

This SAP note is in pilot release.

1453912 Installing a 7.20 kernel in SAP Web AS 7.00/7.01/7.10/7.11

Please raise a SAP ticket and get this note available for you.

Regards,

Naveen.