Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inbound/outbound

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

can you please explain ,what is inbound and out bound interfaces

When to select inbound and outbound in Service interface category option.i mean example rfc to soap scenario

what shall i select ervice interface category option and why

Please explain

Pooja

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Example: RFC to SOAP scenario

RFC - Sender interface or source interface is outbound (outbound from source system)

SOAP - Receiver or target interface is inbound (inbound to target system)

>what shall i select service interface category option and why?

you can also select category outbound for sender and inbound for target interface

Hope that helps.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

prasanthi_chavala
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pooja,

You can refer to the link http://wiki.sdn.sap.com/wiki/display/XI/FeaturesaddedinServiceInterfacePI7.1andOtherEnhancementsinPI7.1 to understand more on service interface.

Also you can check the below link where sample scenario was explained for RFC to SOAP

http://www.saptechnical.com/Tutorials/XI/RFCtoSOAP/page1.htm

Thanks,

Prasanthi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pooja,

Rajendra explains very clear on this sometimes confusing terminology.

I have just one little piece of background to add:

As it was explained to me one day during XI course is that SAP did not want to make XI the centre of the universe, so they looked at the Message (now Service) Interfaces from the sending and receiving application point of view.

So from Sender point of view it's outbound, from Receiver point of view it's inbound.

kr

Robert

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pooja,

In help.sap page for SAP XI you will get lot of info about service interfaces. I will try to briefly explain this.

There are mainly 3 kinds of Service interfaces are there in SAP PI. Previously these are called as Message interfaces.

1. Outbound Interfaces: If message with payload(xml) is coming from outside party (eg.System A) and entering into PI system, then you call it as outbound interface.

2. Inbound Interfaces: if message is goinf out from PI system to Target system (eg. System B) then you name it as inbound interfaces.

3. Abstract interface: which is not having any direction ans it is used in the ccBPM scenarios because ccBPM uses only abstract interfaces(direction-less).

For your RFC to SOAP scenario. For RFC message Type you should select Outbound interface, and for SOAP message type you need to select Inbound Interface. You scenario looks like as follow:

System A -> RFC adapter (Outbound Interface) ->PI -> SOAP adapter (Inbound Interface) -> System B

Thanks,

RK