cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single DB Engine and multiple DB Instances approach

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tech Arch gurus,

Need some advice from all of you. We are currently planning to install SAP training systems to latest versions.

We are getting recommendations to goahead with Dedicated host for Oracle Installation where we have Single DB Engine and multiple DB Instances for all different 7 SAP Servers (ECC6, CRM7, BI/NW7.3, SOLMAN7.01, SRM7, EP/NW7.3, PI7.1).

Certain things that need to be clarified before we go ahead with this:

1. How complex/simple is this approach ?

2. If there are some issues noticed in the future (Performance issues etc) in this landscape , how much effort will be required to migrate out a DB instance for an SAP product to another machine. We would be having both ABAP and Java stack for our systems.

3. We would later plan for adding some more systems into the landscape like SAP MDM, SAP CE, SAP BPC etc. If we add all these systems with a single DB engine, would there be performance issues etc. (We are operating under assumption that underlying hardware of the DB engine will be powerful enough)

Can you please provide some expert guidance on this approach?

Your response would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

MD

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Mandeep,

what is a "single DB engine"? Do you mean that you have installed the oracle software once and running different instances with it?

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Stefan,

Yes By Single DB Engine I meant That we install Oracle once on a dedicated host and have multiple DB Instances each supporting a separate SAP Application listed in my intial post.

Thanks!!

Mandeep

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Stefan,

> Yes By Single DB Engine I meant That we install Oracle once on a dedicated host and have multiple DB Instances each supporting a separate SAP Application listed in my intial post.

> Thanks!!

> Mandeep

Hi,

this is not supported (note 105047 point 55).

You need to install seperate multiple ORACLE_HOME to support seperate DBs in SAP environment.

Or you install only ONE DB and do an MCOD installation, which means you have one DB and one DB instance for all SAP systems.

Volker

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Mandeep,

as Volker already mentioned it is "not allowed by SAP" (whatever this means) - technically it will work. The mentioned concerns by SAP about patch problems are disputable nowadays, because of the SAP Bundle Patches. Oracle upgrades are also not an issue, because of different ORACLE_HOMEs by changing the release

So let me just give you some short answers to your questions:

1. How complex/simple is this approach ?

Pretty easy - just need to change ORACLE_SID (when starting the instance) and i would configure a listener for each oracle instance

how much effort will be required to migrate out a DB instance for an SAP product to another machine

Depending on your used storage (technologies) and environment - just a few mins. ABAP and J2EE makes no difference by moving the database to a different host.

If we add all these systems with a single DB engine, would there be performance issues etc.

Well this depends on your central database host only - if the host got enough resources (CPU, Memory, FC / Ethernet adapters, etc.) there should be no issue.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Stefan and Volker for your inputs in this. Though we have been considering all the points that you mentioned but we wanted to know from experience of experts like you.

I have seen people taking this approach in their environments although it is not permitted. Does it create a problem for us when we ask for support from SAP for such a scenerio?

Thanks,

Mandeep

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As a consultant I never dared to do different from what SAP says in guides or notes, at least when it comes to PRD systems.

For QA and Test Systems, discussions might be needed with the customer, depending on how important these systems are,

and for sandboxes I already did some stuff, that will even scare some Oracle guys

As Stefan says, the technical setup is not that complicate at all.

But I never had to fight for a support call in a non-supported Environment, so I can't say.

I always decided to be on the safe side.

If you have your Oracle License directly from Oracle you might disscuss such special support issues with these guys.

The problem is: If you get a call, and the first level support guy from SAP spots the non-supported environment, it MIGHT be possible that you need to escalate and may be pay for the support, but I suppose they will not let your system die

May be some of the SAP moderator guys can throw a comment in on this.

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are planning to use Oracle 11g for our installation and we are specifically looking for suggestions on how much effort will be required to migrate an Oracle instance to another host in case we incurr perfromance issues in future considering we will have both Abap and Java stack.

Thanks,

Mandeep