cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

partitioning a table with brspace

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

we are under SAP 46C and oracle 10.2.0.2.

we have a table that size over than 200GB, we would to go ahead with partitioning and archiving into a lot of parts.

My question:

in the past we use a full oracle method with exchange partition. Actually we would use brspace, but i cannot find the command line to use to partitioned a new table.

Can you please help me on this issue?

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi there!

Technically you can do the partitioning with BRSPACE.

You want to read article ["BRSPACE Online Reorganizations: Advanced Reorganizations"|http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/70c8f19f-8010-2c10-ac89-8d828039d8b4] from Martin Frauendorfer about that!

More important: before doing that you need to upgrade your Oracle version to at least 10.2.0.5 + Bundle patches.

10.2.0.2 is not supported anymore.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As far as I know that it is not allowed partitioning on brspace. Instead you can check the note 1333328 - Partitioning Engine for Oracle

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Orkun Gedik,

thank you for your response. but Partitioning Engine for Oracle tools (SE14) use brspace?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>> thank you for your response. but Partitioning Engine for Oracle tools (SE14) use brspace?

Yes, but it is the 2nd step of the complete process. You can check the document, below, page 24

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/50067af8-5e56-2c10-6b9e-8d7a2528a...

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for response.

my table is a Z* table, so not standard table. Can i use this tool?

as document in the link, is used for predefined table.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Rearding to the note 1333328 - Partitioning Engine for Oracle, its minimum requirement is SAP_BASIS 6.20. Under this circumstance, you are not allowed to use SAP Partitioning Engine with your release

Under this circumstance, you will only be available to make partitioning at the database level and can only be change its attributes on SE14

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

As SAP Note 742243 - General table partitioning as of SAP_BASIS 46C i can use SE14, my question can i used it for non standard tables? (i mean Z* table)

Former Member
0 Kudos

As SAP Note 742243 - General table partitioning as of SAP_BASIS 46C i can use SE14, my question can i used it for non standard tables? (i mean Z* table)

Yes, it is correct. But, it is not SAP partitioning engine and it is not use brspace. As far as I know that it is directly access to the database and perform the operation.

And the answer is, yes. You can make partitioning on Z* customer tables, as well

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for your help

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> As far as I know that it is not allowed partitioning on brspace. Instead you can check the note 1333328 - Partitioning Engine for Oracle

Well, it is in fact allowed, allthough it takes a small ride through some notes.

You should know what you are doing, but

- Note 104047 (point 60.) allows partitioning (with minor restrictions)

- Note 722188 describes partitioning in general and esp. the syntax required in the sql statements.

- Note 646681 describes (point 5) how to stop brspace after createing the ddl.sql file to have the possibility to adjust as needed.

I applied hash partitioning on a a table once using this way (editing ddl.sql) with an online reorg using brspace and that was way back in version 9.

So I think it is still valid, but you should verify the procedure on a QA-system first and may be do a 4 eyes check on ddl.sql!

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Volker,

Thank you for the info...

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik