cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM Workflow History Causing a StringIndexOutOfBoundsException on Portal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good day,

Could you please assist. We have a Portal webdynpro application that we use to retrieve workflow history data from MDM. This application used to work previously and produced an excel report of the performance within MDM, based on what is in the workflow history for each workflow.

Recently this application does not run for certain days. It seems that the app does not find some data that it usually finds when running in order to produce the report. Is there a way to see what data is missing from the workflow history within MDM?

Please let me know should you require more info.

Thank you.

Regards,

Simni

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simmi,

Try to find out what is the logic on which you are searching WF history in the history table.

I guess apart from WF the code might be using a time range within which it would give you

the history details of WF steps.

It requires to inspect the logs for an exact point to the error you are getting.

Out of Bounds exceptions in Java are fairly broad in the context that they are delivered if the error occurs within a parameter pass function.

Please check the parameters you are using to get the history data,i guess the time frame parameter should be checked.

If you are using Time parameter making it somewhere around a WF expiry time should help.

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much Ravi for your pointers.

It seems our MDM Data Manager is missing a part of the workflow history - specifically "workflow name", "workflow owner" and "workflow description". The application reads that data in order to calculate its results, hence the exception. We are now trying to see what properties have been changed on the Data Manager/Console side in order to retain that data. If you have any ideas, please let me know

Thank you.

Regards,

Simni

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simmi,

Please refer to this thread:

Shailesh's comment are very useful in this context.

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Thank you. We have most of the logic in place. We have implemented the API and everything was working. The problem here is the workflow history not having enough info. It used to, but for some reason, it is now not there. We are missing the following fields from the workflow history:

-Workflow name;

-Workflow owner; and

-Description.

Regards,

Simni

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simmi,

Please look into:

public class WorkflowProperties

extends Object

The class represents Workflow properties

This class returns you the workflow property details.

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Thank you for your feedback.

Please advise as to how I can make use of the Workflowproperties. Currently the Portal application uses the workflow history as a String from MDM Data Manager and manipulates that to get our report. We have informed SAP and they have implemented a fix for it. Is there a possible workaround it, as we need the fix sooner than we will be able to implement it.

Thank you.

Regards,

Simni

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simi,

This is more of java logic issue.

As you said the history data is fetched from the History table using SHOW_HISTORY.

I think when you are trying to fetch this using getHistoryMessage() on ExecuteWorkflowTaskActionCommand object there lies the issue.

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Yes, we are using that method. The problem we have discovered is that the history within MDM Data Manager itself is missing the fields - Workflow name, Workflow Description and Workflow owner. The Portal application retrieves the workflow history string and reads through it in order to count, e.g. the Supplier items created, the Supplier items updated. This has happened after we ugraded with an MDM Patch. SAP have implemented a fix to the issue to restore the missing fields from the history. I am now trying to find a workaround as we have now lost those specific fields within the workflow history on SAP MDM Data Manager.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Regards,

Simni Mama

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Simni,

I think a short term solution to this can be to include some kind of code for workflow name in the steps description in each of the steps,this can be used as a nomenclature which also tell the WF name and few more details.

The Step descriptions can be fetched using the job ids.

It can tell you which is the WF and owner is you include in the step description in WF definition.

Later you can do root cause analysis and remove this workaround once permanent solution is in place.

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

Thanks again for your response. Please see an example of the String we are missing from the history we retrieve from MDM:

"Workflow: MAT_CREATE \nWorkflow Description: Workflow for the creation of a new supplier record \nWorkflow: Username \n".

Kindly advise as how one can retrieve this info, when it doesn't exist in the String retrieved from MDM.

Regards,

Simni