cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optional/Mandatory prompt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can we turn an optional prompt to mandatory or a mandatory prompt to optional in universe ? The data source is SAP BW.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

MariannevL
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi,

To add on to Henry's answer,

Yes, you can make a prompt that is generated as 'normal' thus mandatory and make it optional from a BO perspective.

(encluose in xml tags <OPTIONAL> </OPTIONAL>)

However, note that if the BW query expects and answer and you did not specifify a default value, it will fail.

Also you will notice the settings 'mandatory on universe' and 'mandatory on class'.

The first one is checked by default when the universe gets generated.

These options tell you whether or not the filter (and thus the prompt in it) is ALWAYS includes in any webi query (mandatory on universe) or when an object from that class (object folder) is used.

If a prompt is really optional, you may want to uncheck it and make the prompt available as filter object for the webi queries that want to use it. If you make the prompt optional, but do not uncheck it, every webI query will have the prompt message, but the user may fill it in or leave it empty.

The other way around is no problem at all, if you want to force the user to always fill the prompt, remove the xml tags <OPTIONAL> </OPTIONAL>. Again you can still make it mandatory in universe or usable as filter object (but then if it is included in a webI report, it HAS to be filled in by the user.

Hope this helps,

Marianne

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marianne,

I am having a similar question, I am using XI 3.1 and creating a Universe and Source is SAP BW. The BW Query has some prompts at their end and when i am trying to create a ad-hoc report i get these prompts in my report. Is there anyway i can hide thes prompts not to show up?

Thanks, Ashwin

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

in an XI3.1 OLAP.unv, your SAP Variables will manifest themselves as Filters in the Universe outline. You can definitely manually adjust the XML mark-up syntax, and make it Mandatory at definition-level. Please note, a Refresh Structure can wipe this.

It may also be possible to toggle a button for the Filter object - i can't be sure, it's been some time since i've checked.

In BI4.0 definitely, you can (in the WebI Query Panel) click Set Variables / Set Prompts, and force additional settings, such as 'make optional / make mandatory' & feed Default values in the query specification before running the report.

Regards

H