cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CURRENTPHASE MAIN_NEWBAS/STARTSAP_NBAS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello There,

We are doing an Upgrade from BI 3.5 to 7.3 and ran into a problem during my MAIN_NEWBAS/STARTSAP_NBAS phase (downtime Phase). SAP is unable to start the shadow instance I think, (error below).

This trouble ticket was created by SAPup on 20111005165756

-

SAPup broke during phase STARTSAP_NBAS in module MAIN_NEWBAS / Downtime II: Conversion, Main Import, XPRAs

Error Message: RFC call to subst_get_uvers failed with key RFC_ERROR_COMMUNICATION (open): SAP_CMINIT3 : rc=20 > Connect to SAP gateway failed

Connect_PM GWHOST=mit01, GWSERV=sapgw02, SYSNR=02

LOCATION CPIC (TCP/IP) on local host with Unicode

ERROR partner '10.1.8.243:3302' not reached

TIME Wed Oct 5 16:57:56 2011

RELEASE 720

COMPONENT NI (network interface)

VERSION 40

RC -10

MODULE nixxi.cpp

LINE 2898

DETAIL NiPConnect: 10.1.8.243:3302

SYSTEM CALL connect

ERRNO 79

ERRNO TEXT Connection refused

COUNTER 227

System start failed

-

-

Summary of SAPup:

-

SAPehpi Release: lmt_002

SAPehpi Version: SAPup release lmt_002 version 41.001

Start Release: 640

Target Release: 730

-

Summary of host system details:

-

SID: MIT

Host: mit01

MS Host: mit01

GW Host: mit01

Start Path: /usr/sap/MIT/DVEBMGS02/exe

Kernel Path: /usr/sap/MIT/DVEBMGS02/exe

I checked dev_w0 file under the shadow instance and I got the following error

C Supported features:

C

C ..retrieving configuration parameters

C [profile] dbs/db6/dbsl_ignore_collate_info = 1

C ..done

C *** ERROR => path for db2 library 'libdb2.a(shr_64.o)' could not be determined

[dbdb6.c 11084]

C *** ERROR in getConfigurationAndEnvironmentHandle[dbdb6.c, 12580] CON = -1 (BEGIN)

C &+ DbSlConnectDB6: Unable to load DB2 libraries. Connect failed.

C &+

C &+

C *** ERROR in getConfigurationAndEnvironmentHandle[dbdb6.c, 12580] (END)

M ***LOG R19=> ThInit, db_connect ( DB-Connect 000256) [thxxhead.c 1487]

M in_ThErrHandle: 1

M *** ERROR => ThInit: db_connect (step 1, th_errno 13, action 3, level 1) [thxxhead.c 11295]

Please could you advice.

Many Thanks

Jacob

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jacob,

It looks like a Kernel problem to me. Is 02 your shadow instance number?

Thanks,

Siva Kumar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

The problem is now resolved. I had not install teh CLI client correctly, the drivers were not available. After installing the CLI client it corrected all the Environment variable and paths. The upgrade went smoothly.

Thank you all for you suggestion and advice !

Take care

Jacob

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

No this error is not related to shadow instance. As shadow instance will no more exist after phase STOPSHD Last. Please check log of the main instance why it is not getting started. Issue seems to be with database library files.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny,

It looks like it is trying to start the shadow instance, I have check the made correction to the LIBPATH for the sidadm user and then re-started the upgrade still the same error

In the dev_w0 file

"C ..retrieving configuration parameters

C [profile] dbs/db6/dbsl_ignore_collate_info = 1

C ..done

C *** ERROR => path for db2 library 'libdb2.a(shr_64.o)' could not be determined

[dbdb6.c 11084]

C *** ERROR in getConfigurationAndEnvironmentHandle[dbdb6.c, 12580] CON = -1 (BEGIN)

C &+ DbSlConnectDB6: Unable to load DB2 libraries. Connect failed.

C &+

C &+

C *** ERROR in getConfigurationAndEnvironmentHandle[dbdb6.c, 12580] (END)

M ***LOG R19=> ThInit, db_connect ( DB-Connect 000256) [thxxhead.c 1487]

M in_ThErrHandle: 1

M *** ERROR => ThInit: db_connect (step 1, th_errno 13, action 3, level 1) [thxxhead.c 11295]"

I wonder if it is because of lack of memory on this server ? (5GB) but the error does not indicate that at all.

Any help would be appreciated !!

Many Thanks

Jacob

Former Member
0 Kudos

> It looks like it is trying to start the shadow instance, I have check the made correction to the LIBPATH for the sidadm user and then re-started the upgrade still the same error

Hi Jacob,

What is the value of LIBPATH now and what was it before you made the correction ?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi There,

now the value is LIBPATH=/usr/lib:/lib:/usr/sap/MIT/SYS/exe/run:/usr/sap/MIT/SYS/exe/uc/rs6000_64:/db2/db2mit/sqllib/lib:/db2/db2mit/sqllib/lib64

Before it was just LIBPATH=/usr/lib:/lib:/usr/sap/MIT/SYS/exe/run:/usr/sap/MIT/SYS/exe/uc/rs6000_64

Thanks

Jacob

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jacob,

It is OK to keep just /db2/db2mit/sqllib/lib because 'lib' must already be pointing to 'lib64'. So you can keep either of them.

Did you make a search for 'libdb2.so' yet ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello there,

This file is not found anywhere libdb2.so I'm not sure where to look for it ? I don't it is files, somehow the environment variable is not point to the right place inspite of correcting it in the LIBPATH od sidadm

Any help would be highly appreciated !

Many Thanks

Jacb

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Could you please check what is the status of your main instance whether it is up or not ? If it is not up, then try to start the main instance manually and check if you face same error again. Please let us know about the result.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sunny,

First of all thank you for your help in this matter. My main instance & shadow instance are both down. I 'm not sure starting up the main instance is the right path to follow since the same situation may occur in my production landscape too. So I'm hoping that either SAP or someone in this forum will provide me with a solution.

The Upgrade is trying to start the shadow instance in this stage so I'm leaning towards some environment variables not set correctly set by the upgrade. I did a sapcontrol -nr 02 -function GetEnvironment to get the environment variables and it return correctly all the path.

Another thing that I was thinking is to the exit the upgrade program, shutdown the db and reboot the whole box and then restart the upgrade. But I'm a little afraid since this is the downtime phase and not sure if the upgrade will start from where it stop,

Any advice will be highly appreciated

Many Thanks

Jacob

blanca_serrano
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Jacob,

It seems the path for db2 library 'libdb2.so' could not be found by the system. Please, check the folloiwng:

1.- Check where libdb2.so is located

2.- Check permissions to that path

3.- Verify the environment variable LIBPATH contains the path to db2 library directory

I hope this helps you.

Regards,

Blanca

duncanspeidel
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Jacob,

Note 500376 is for a slightly different problem but I think the solution could help. "Check the library path of SAP users.

The path should have the following value: $INSTHOME/sqllib/lib". Also make sure that libdb2.a is available.

Best regards,

Duncan