Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle backup for multiple tapes

janos_czettler
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All!

We have a large database (ERP 6.0 with Oracle 10.2). To the daily backup the database we use a tape library. If the backup data will larger than a tape size can we use additional tape to continue the backup?

I mean the SAP backup tools (brtools, rman) able to use multiple tapes to perform the backup? I tried to find notes on OSS, and some topics here, but.nothing

I hope we aren't the first company who uses tape library and outgrow the tape size ...:)

Thank you!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, you can use additional tape to continue backup

You can find the documentation, below;

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm32/helpdata/en/2d/a753c00a010143bdf92c766cbfa4c2/frameset.htm

For the parallel backup;

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_sm32/helpdata/en/88/a2a041a5d4af4db168992639d65d3b/content.htm

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Edited by: Orkun Gedik on Oct 5, 2011 4:40 PM

janos_czettler
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Orkun,

thank you!!! lot of information, I check it!

Regards

Janos

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Janos,

I mean the SAP backup tools (brtools, rman) able to use multiple tapes to perform the backup?

For sure - if the tape needs to be changed due various reasons your MML (Media Management Library) will trigger it and then the backup will continue.

Depending on how you use the library, the configuration differs a little bit. Do you use any Library Manager / Backup software like TSM or BackupExec?

Regards

Stefan

janos_czettler
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Stefan,

The library is an IBM TS3100 tape library. We don't use TSM, or SBE.

We use ntutil.exe to perform backup. This is a command line utility for this library (installed with Windows 200x IBMTape Device Drivers).

I specified the volume label in DB13. The BRtools control the porcess.

There is the mount_cmd amd dismount_cmd

mount_cmd                      D:\ntutil\etloapad.cmd $ $ $
dismount_cmd                   D:\ntutil\etulopad.cmd $ $

Then these command files generate the commands for the ntutil.exe, witch is take the rigth tape, put into head, then retrieve it after the backup.

After load the tape via command file the brbackup begins to run.

brbackup -u / -jid ALLOG20101214220000 -c force -t online -m all -p initprd.sap -w use_dbv -v 000028L3 -a -c force -p initprd.sap -cds -w use_rmv

But I don't know what will happening, if the tape physical size will be smaller then the whole backup. Slowly, but it will happen

You sad the MML can trigger a tape change? But how does he know the next label ot tape? There is 12 tapes on the magazine.

Edited by: Janos Czettler on Oct 5, 2011 4:03 PM