cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transport SCA NWDI 7.2 - Release version control

Former Member
0 Kudos

Greetings

I currently have a development and a production enviroment, I want to produce a SCA file of the current state of a DC and export it to production.

Is there a way to manage this on the CMS so I can develop a DC on NWDS, activate it and transport a labeled version of it, so then I can pick up one labeled version, generate a SCA file of that DC state (I only want the ear files on it) and then import it on the production enviroment.

Thanks in advance

Jean Carlo

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

you can any time assemble your software into an SCA file and import into production. It is important to know that assembly always assembles from the cons/active workspace. Meaning that after checkin, activate and release, you need to go to the consolidation tab in transport studio and import the new change before triggering assembly. Else the new change won't be part of the new SCA, since the change is not part of cons/active.

If you want to deploy only an ear file then there is no need to use nwdi at all. You create a WD DC in your NWDS, generate the deployable ear file of it and deploy it using the JSPM, or with j2ee telnet admin (or SDM if you are on a lower release). This case of course the application won't be versioned by DTR, there won't be created any SCA file, it won't be maintainable in CMS, no CBS build takes place, etc, as this approach is not involving NWDI at all.

If your question was rather that you have already an ongoing development which consists of many DCs, but you want to assemble only part of it (like assembling into an SCA file only certain DC or DCs), then it is not possible due to the above mentioned reason that assembly always assembles the entire cons/active workspace, there is no way assembling a subset of it.

Let me know if this answers your question else please elaborate your sceanrio for better understanding.

Thank you!

Best Regards,

Ervin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you very much,

Does this means that if I have two applications on a SC and I want to transpor one of them using a SCA file then both applications would be transported? Should I use a SC for each application (an application could be a WD DC and two or more EJB related DCs) ?

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Is this a design issue?

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

all dc in the sc will be packed.

during deployment, only the dc having newer version will be deployed.

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

i don't think it is a issue,

just for consistency.

imagine your dc is working under certain version of SC, if you only transport one dc, it will be an issue in target system if it contains dc you depended on in another version.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have asked the Development team to develop two applications, now I want to deploy one of them into production, there is no way they can generate a SCA file to deploy just one of them, right? they have to generate a SC for each application

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1.you can ask the developer to deploy from NWDS directly. dc can be deployed one by one as you desired.

2. have you checkedin all the content and moved all the content to consolidation? if not, just checkin one dc, and move it to consolidation, after that, assemble it, which will contain only one dc.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thats very interesting to us,

Nevertheless the basis team is saying that on NW CE 7.2 the only way to deploy to another server is providing SCA file and the development team is generating the SCA from the NWDS which takes both applications (both applications have been uploaded to consolidation but only one can be transported to production).

Is this right? Do you know where can I find more information about transporting procedures?

Thanks a lot for your help