cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C++ Debug Assertion Failed! - when printing with LOCL method G and GUI 620

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all

I've just raised an OSS message with SAP but don't think they'll help as the GUI version is no longer supported... if anyone else has come across this though and has any suggestions that would be great...

Thanks

Ross

-

Hi

We recently upgraded a few users to the 720 SAP GUI and had issues with LOCL printing, as we were still using the older "F: Printing on Front End computer" method of printing. As per SAP Note "Note 821519 - Front-end printing with control technology" the solution is to use method "G: Front end printing with Control Tech".

However, we now get an issue with SOME users who are running the SAP GUI 620 patch 57. When they try and print to LOCL they get a pop up dialog box error:

"Microsoft Visual C++ Debug Library

Debug Assertion Failed!

Program: C:\Program Files\SAP\FrontEnd\SAPgui\saplogon.exe

File: fputs.c

Line: 48

Expressiom: steam != NULL"

I appreciate that this old GUI is no longer supported BUT the SAP note states that 620 patch 56 is the minimum level for method "G" to work - and previous testing showed that it DID work ok. It seems only some of the 620 patch 57 users are affected - just wondering if you can advise why and if there is a 'quick fix' for this, perhaps an updated fputs.c file or something?

The issue is that we literally have thousands of users on this version and cannot roll out 720 quickly enough & without some additional testing/costs etc. We have a 710 patch 18 version we can roll out but this can cause IE8 issues... neither do we wish to revert to control method "F" as this will then 'break' printing for those users.

We have created a LOCL_OLD printer with method "F" but some users (for various reasons, including hard coded printers in bespoke transactions) cannot select this and have to use LOCL...

If you are aware of the C++ debug assertion error and have any possible solutions that would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Ross

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> I appreciate that this old GUI is no longer supported BUT the SAP note states that 620 patch 56 is the minimum level for method "G" to work - and previous testing showed that it DID work ok. It seems only some of the 620 patch 57 users are affected - just wondering if you can advise why and if there is a 'quick fix' for this, perhaps an updated fputs.c file or something?

fputs.c is a source file that is used to compile the GUI. The assertion is thrown because an expected condition is not met. So even if you would take out the assertion, there's no guarantee it'll work because "something" on the operating system is not right.

I suggest you compare installed software and windows hotfixes on the affected PCs vs. those who don't show this error. The error may also be that after the installation of the SAPGUI another software product was installed that replaced certain DLLs that are also used by the SAPGUI.

Markus