cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct access to document image via webservice - best practice?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Howdy,

Rookie "Post-er".... be gentle. I've searched and I've read... didn't find this. I've not taken training. I may be way off base.

We have multiple manufacturing sites around the world with local Operator Qualification appls that want to access the enterprise SAP DMS mfg document images (stop dual maint - enterprise & local).... without dependency on SAP ECC being up. If we can pass them DMS meta-data via near-realtime msgs (including the document image access "key" data); then we would assume they can direclty access KPRO for the document image as needed.

Would this be considered a "best practice"? Webservice controlled (access only from known source).

Is PHIO-ID the only dynamic variable needed (based on info below I found in WIKI)?

*Alternatively, the url as below can be used to retrieve the documents from the content server[*http://<Server_Name>:<Port_No>/archive.dll?get&pVersion=<Version_No>&contRep=<Content_Rep>&docId=<PHIO_ID|http://<Server_Name>:<Port_No>/archive.dll?get&pVersion=<Version_No>&contRep=<Content_Rep>&docId=<PHIO_ID|\||]>

<Server_Name> = Content server (IP address or name of content server)

<Port_No> = Port No. of the server

<Version_No> = Version No of content server (Transaction OACT)

<Content_Rep> = content category of the server (Transaction OAC0)

<PHIO_ID> = PHIO Id derived for each upload method

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

amit_maheshwari2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dave,

It is easy and convenient to share the link of the uploaded documents with the persons who do not access to SAP systems.

The only prerequisite to access the documents via weblink is that the users should have the access to the content server.

Cheers

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

This is an encouraging answer but somewhat generic. Would you be able to provide a little detail on how this "link" is provided and used? Our limitation is that for one Sunday/month ECC is down 4 hrs and possibly once a Quarter for 12 hrs. We're looking for an access directly to the stored Mfg Documents with "key" data already in the non-SAP system's meta-data.

I'm reading more of the information posted in other reply... and I'm beginning to understand why non-SAP systems would not be able to direclty access the stored document without going through SAP.

Many thanks for your time and experience shared,

Dave

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

This reply posted to help others who may refer this in the future.

As Amit Maheshwari mentioned, it is possible to give access to a document stored in the Content Server even when the partner system(ECC) is down.

As per your requirement, you want to access documents when the ECC System is down, but the content server is up and running.

The following steps can be of help to you:

1 - Create a program, that will create URL for the documents stored in the content server and send the URL to the external system.(Refer: FM- SDOK_PHIO_GET_URL_FOR_GET)

The URL refers to the public IP of the Internet Server on which the content server is hosted on.

2 - With this URL and few configurations on the Content Server (to allow access from external systems) you can fetch the file from the content server to the external system. Access privileges may vary based on your security settings.

Note: Since the ECC system will be down, creating URL for all the documents can be a bottleneck.

Probable Solution: While adding a document to the ECC system, the respective URL can be created and transferred to the external system along with the master details and stored there.

This can be undertaken if it is really important for the business, as it will increase the load for the external system. The solution can be modified based on the business requirement.

Thank you,

Regards,

Tamilnesan G

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tamilnesan G,

I am a  beginner ,My requirement is to get the image from the content server via browser using HTTP URL to use it in UI. I also used the function

SDOK_PHIO_GET_URL_FOR_GET  which has two importing parameters

CALL FUNCTION 'SDOK_PHIO_GET_URL_FOR_GET'

EXPORTING

object_id                                 = lf_phio

*         REQUESTED_COMPONENTS   =

*         CLIENT                                        = SY-MANDT

*              standard_url_only                    = 'X'

*         DATA_PROVIDER_URL_ONLY =

*         URL_LIFETIME                            =

IMPORTING

urls                                         = lt_url

document_url                         = lf_doc_url

EXCEPTIONS

not_existing           = 1

not_authorized         = 2

no_content             = 3

bad_storage_type       = 4

no_urls_available      = 5

OTHERS                 = 6.

when I use this  lt_url  gives SAP internal URL which cannot be used in browser whereas lf_doc_url  gives HTTP url . When i use this http url in browser it shows 'SSF error: Decoding not possible'  . I even used CALL_BROWSER function to call lf_doc_url but still the same error appears.

Can you please guide me how can i get the image from DMS through the browser so that i can consume in my UI.

Regards,

Sujeet .

MangeshP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Dave,

Please check this link as it cleary mentions "cannot be accessed using the file manager of the front-end computer"

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp60_sp/helpdata/en/8a/d31c34044611d3951d00a0c92f024a/content.htm

With Warm Regards

Mangesh Pande

Former Member
0 Kudos

I thank you very much for this link.... it's amazing how much you can Search and not find some of the key things you were looking for. Having spent just a few days of research... I was not connecting KPRO as Knowledge Provider! I guess that is why not having Training can be a problem...

These documents (per the url you sent) are sending me back to our Europe based team that configured and implemented the SAP DMS with KRPO. I need to find out exactly how they defined the documents, etc. It is looking doubtful that we could quickly do what I was hoping.

Thank you also for your time and experience shared,

Dave

MangeshP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Dave,

In SAP DMS documents( Original Application Files such as Word. Excel, PPT, PDF, Tiff, DWG etc) are stored in COntent server which is a secured storage area which cannot be accessed by web service, direct acess, or through windows explorer This is clearly mentioned in the given URL by me.

The meta data ( DOcument numbers. PArt version, revision, description , its classification data, adminstrative data, status data) is stored in SAP ECC. And ECC is the only way to Display these Documents and Originals.

If the servers are remaining down for longer time its the system to be check for so much downtime. Direct access to content server is not problem. OK for the time being if we imagine that we are able to access the originals files in content server, how will you identify and originla without meta data?

For Configuring DMS the followiing activities are to be done.

1. Create a DOcument Type in DC10.

2. In DC10 , For the document type, the check Box "Use KPRO" is marked. So whenever a DIR is getting created the originals are getting stored in Content Server.

3. There are two COnfiguration to define storage inContent server.

4. Number one "OAC0 - define Content Repository" and Second "OACT- Define storage category"

Hope I have answered your queries.

With warm regards

Mangesh Pande