cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP BASIS / Netweaver administration doubts

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am very new with SAP with basic info about SAP but equipped with Systems administration and network background+ tier 2 ERP functional support.

I am interested to opt SAP Administration career and interested to go for SAP administration training. Require some help to clarify doubts.

1. Should i go for SAP Basis course based on ECC 6.0 or with netweaver 7.0. I beleive netweaver 7.0 is technology platform with integration support with other languages like .net/ Java etc

2. If its SAP Basis then mentioned topics will cover and enable a career with SAP basis admin.

3. For SAP Netweaver administration ABAP skills are mandatory to handle the job properly???

SAP Features

u2022 SAP Architecture

u2022 File system Layout (with Oracle Database)

u2022 Trouble shooting start up errors

u2022 Installation on Linux/Windows 2003

u2022 SAP Profile Management

u2022 Operation modes

u2022 CCMS configuration/Monitoring

u2022 Background Jobs administration

u2022 Spool Administration

u2022 Transport management system

u2022 Change and Transport system

u2022Client administration and client copy

techniques

Support packages and Add-on application

SAP router

Installation of dialog instances

SAP Load balancing techniques

SAP Help Configuration

User Administration

Oracle Database

System copy techniques

Kernel upgrade

Performance and Tuning

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

michael_ruth3
Contributor
0 Kudos

Your best bet is to get all of your Basis training and experience first, if that's your desire. ABAP and Java developing is a whole nother subject. You don't really need it as a Basis administrator. You see some companies advertise for Basis administrators and will mention ABAP skills are a plus. Yes, it is nice to have and does come in handy from time to time but SAP is much different today then 10, 15, 20 years ago where it was good to have both skills. This was a long answer but hopefully you have a clearer understanding. Just stay with Basis until you are comfortable wth it.

Cheers,

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael & Shri,

Thanks for the inputs and views. I agree as a beginner i shud focus on basis and probably at one point i will be able to figure which are areas will be plus like ABAP , JAVA etc after some learning and handson.

But your views are quite helpful for me. Thanks both of you.

michael_ruth3
Contributor
0 Kudos

Ferozsh,

Take anything related to Basis administration, ABAP and Java. Mostly concentrate on the Java side, ABAP will eventually go away, about 10 years or so. I would take the latest and greatest versions of everything,PI, BW, Solution Manager,CRM, Portal, even security classes. Contact SAP education and they can guide you as well.

Cheers,

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply.

I will start with SAP Basis ...Java is mandatory for Basis admin because Java is hardcore coding language and i believe BASIS is more into administration and security of entire application & DB.

I have done level Oracle Db recently becasue i was told by some one that oracle db concepts are part of basis admin course.

But how Java and Abap programming skills helps in basis administration.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In my opinion, programming requirement for SAP Basis consultant is meaningful at quite a later career stage.

If you are beginner, I suggest to first concentrate on the topics you mentioned in your first post and ofcourse Database administration (like for Oracle/DB2). These help a lot.

Programming skills may help in Basis administration - but programming would only be around 10-15% of Basis Administration.

They might be useful for in-depth troubleshooting or writing Z programs to make some tasks easier. However, programming skills usually are not considered mandatory for Basis. Perhaps other SDNers could also provide their input.

Regards,

Srikishan