Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Both L1 & L2 scheduling in a single network

soubhagya_rout
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

In a single project, is it possible to have both L1 & L2 level of activities alongwith the relationships among them. As per my knowledge, there is only a single Level of activity can be added i.e. either L1 or L2 in standard SAP. Activity element can be considered but there is no relationship, so its not gonna help me.

If any one have any idea, please share.

Thanks,

Soubhagya Rout

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

There is no sub-levels at activity stage. if you need to go to further details, you can use activity elements as you pointed out or you can create sub networks.

Regards

Sreekanth

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Subnetworks is a good option. To address your issue, I think you can make use of constraints in subnetwork.

Regards

PBN

former_member230675
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>

> In a single project, is it possible to have both L1 & L2 level of activities

Please specify you requirements then may be we can help you to map the scenario..

there is concept of sub-network, please read sap help on that, may be it is useful for you.

soubhagya_rout
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

The business scenario is somewhat like this:-

This is a investment type of project where there are few levels of WBS and to each lowest WBS element, there are few networks to which activities have been added.

At the early stage of the project, only major(L1) activities are known but at that time there is no idea about the detailed activities i.e. L2 level activities (which is the further detailing of L1 activities) based on which the execution will be done. The relationship has to be maintained separately for L1 & L2 level activities.

So basically what the requirement is, activity confirmation will be done at L2 level and the progress in terms of %, dates(Basic & Actual) will roll up to L1 level activities which will be used for reporting purpose.

In the meanwhile, I'm going through this sub-network concept but is there any possibility of activity level as WBS level.

Thanks,

Soubhagya

soubhagya_rout
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

As per the above requirement, i've gone through the subnetwork concept. This somehow fulfill the business requirement but there is still some problem during scheduling.

suppose at higher level activity(L1 level) the duration of an activity is 10 days and under which there is a subnetwork to which 3 more activities are there i.e. L2 level and the total duration of these 3 activities is 10 days.

At the time of confirmation at L2 level the duration of those 3 activities becomes 15 days but the activity at upper level to which these activities are attached still has the duration of 10 days which is very much contradictory.

So is this possible that the actual duration roll up to higher level activity automatically.

Please someone help on this matter.

Thanks in advance

Soubhagya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

This kind of scheduling is generally industry practice and not seen in SAP PS (with my experience). Once I am come across with one of our client to have TA Project scheduling with more detailed but SAP has declined to offer such kind of detailed scheduling (hourly scheduling) in PS module rather they have suggested go for MS Project or Primevera.

I have tested this scenario and noticed the following.

I have not maintained the duration at top level activity and assigned durations at activity elements. Not seen aggregate value at main activity. When confirmed the one of the activity element, still not rolling up at higher level activity but we can see the reamining duration with reduced values against activity element with confirmation.

I am not sure whether this is a system behaviour or some thing is missing here.

The work around solution would be, thid could be suggestion and might work in your case, you can set up activity elements with durations maintained for each and keep confirming each AE whenever required. Once you are done final confirmation to all the the AEs then go for main ativitiy confirmation. The problem here is you will not see rolled progress at main activity.

To have project progress for every pre-defined period, you can start confirming the main activity periodically basing on lower level activity elements progress, so that you will be able to see the POC progress on your project.

Please try and let me know if you need any further inputs.

Regards,

PSR

Edited by: PSR on Oct 21, 2011 5:32 PM