cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System migration from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005.

ganesh_borase2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Eveybody,

I have upgrade existing SAP (ECC 5.0) 32- bit on windows 2003 + SQL 2000 to WIndows 2003 64-bit + SQL 2005

I have made a plan as follows

1. Install windows 2003 64 bit + SQL 2005.

2. Run sap_drpproc on source system ( on SQL 2000).

3. copy database from source system.

4. detach database from Source system and copy on newly installed 64-bit system (SQL 2005)

5. Attach database.

6. Execute STM tool and select Database copy option.

7. Execute sp_updatestate on newly installed system.

is above steps are right?

my main concern about

Please suggest

1. how to manage USR folder (which things need to be copied from source sysem)

2. is need to use the source system profile? and how?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Eveybody,

> I have upgrade existing SAP (ECC 5.0) 32- bit on windows 2003 + SQL 2000 to WIndows 2003 64-bit + SQL 2005

> I have made a plan as follows

>

> 1. Install windows 2003 64 bit + SQL 2005.

> 2. Run sap_drpproc on source system ( on SQL 2000).

> 3. copy database from source system.

> 4. detach database from Source system and copy on newly installed 64-bit system (SQL 2005)

> 5. Attach database.

> 6. Execute STM tool and select Database copy option.

> 7. Execute sp_updatestate on newly installed system.

>

> is above steps are right?

> my main concern about

> Please suggest

> 1. how to manage USR folder (which things need to be copied from source sysem)

> 2. is need to use the source system profile? and how?

>

>

>

> Thanks

Hi Ganesh,

Let me explain a bit. First section of your plan (step 1 to 7) is to copy/move the database from Source to Target, right ? This procedure is sufficient only when you already have an SAP instance residing on the target (In other words, the system refresh - where we just refresh for e.g. QAS/Sandbox system from PRD)

Now, how will we get 'SAP Application'/'SAP CI for e.g.) there on the target in your case on NEW fresh windows host? One way is to COPY all the /usr/sap and other contents like profiles etc. software from the source to the target. But the platform is WINDOWS, so registry problems come up and we can't just put the SAP up just by copying the contents.

There we need SAPinst to install the 'SAP instance' for e.g. SAP CI to install SAP binaries for a particular SID.

So I suggest you to go through the 'System Copy' guide once for your platform. As far as database recreation/restore on the target is concerned, this is your choice that you opt of either detach/attach or database backup/restore.

Thanks

ganesh_borase2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi!,

Actually, I follow the SAP note 960769, 0000799058 and 151603.

Thanks

Ganesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

These SAP Notes are OK and should be referred in your case.

So, according to Note 960769, you are going to use 'Homogenous system Copy' --> Database-Specific Procedure, right ?

Database-specific procedure

In this procedure, the database on the target system is not created and filled with the data of the source system, instead the database is created by copying the data belonging to the database from the source system to the target system. This procedure is described in the Installation and Homogenous System Copy Guide as Backup/Restore, Brcopy, R3Copy or DBCopy procedures depending on the SAP release.

As we can see, this is specific about 'database'. Please go through Homogenous system copy guide, we have to follow the system copy procedure and this is optional that for database part we can follow either db specific procedure or export/import.

Thanks

ganesh_borase2
Participant
0 Kudos

HI!

Thanks for prompt reply.

means My plan is right.

but still I am confusion about what to do about usr folder.

which things need to copy from source system to target system?

what about profile? is need to import?

Please suggest.

Thanks

Ganesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI!

> Thanks for prompt reply.

> means My plan is right.

Yes, right, but only for the database.

> but still I am confusion about what to do about usr folder.

> which things need to copy from source system to target system?

> what about profile? is need to import?

> Please suggest.

>

>

> Thanks

> Ganesh

Again, the folder 'usr' or usr\sap or profiles etc. will be created by SAPinst, not manually by us.

Thanks

ganesh_borase2
Participant
0 Kudos

HI!

I

Again, the folder 'usr' or usr\sap or profiles etc. will be created by SAPinst, not manually by us.

I want to know, anything need to copy from source USR to newly installed USR folder like

trans folder contains, profile folder contains.

I know on Fresh SAP installation, it will automatically create USR.

Thanks

Ganesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ganesh,

Profiles - no need to copy profiles but parameters need to be added whichever is required same as source.

trans - When you will set up TMS after the system copy and will include this new system into TSM then you can copy the datafiles/cofiles from source trans to target trans. If the source trans is the central trans directory then it might be containing all the datafiles/cofiles of the landscape otherwise only a few datafiles/cofiles might be residing there which are local to this system.

Printers - SAP printer definitions will already be copied with system copy but printer queues on windows will have to be created (depending upon how sap spooling/printing is setup in your landscape).

Apart from these, just follow the post system copy steps which include some steps related to cleanups etc.

Thanks

ganesh_borase2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi!

Thanks!

Now, I have more clear on USR.

This weekend I will carry out this activity.

Thanks for support.

Thanks

Ganesh

former_member184473
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

This procedure is called system copy.

Refer to the following website to find the necessary guides.

http://service.sap.com/instguides

Regards,

Eduardo Rezende

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Since it is a windows system and you are trying to create a copy on a new server (Win 64) then I would recommend to use SAPinst to install SAP instance instead of manually copying USR folder or profiles etc.

Steps mentioned by you for database re-creation of the target is OK and I hope you are already referring the Note 151603 - Copying an SQL Server database.

Thanks

ganesh_borase2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi!

Actually, I have plan to use system attach/Detach because it required min. downtime.

Ok, I will try as per your suggestion, if possible will you please explain me in short steps

for the same.

Also after that which post processing required like Profile copying, running STM tool.

Please suggest. I have to do this activity this week end.

Thanks

Ganesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

For 'database' copy part, your plan is correct. Either you use detach/attach method Or you use backup/restore method for MS SQL Server database/instance.

For 'SAP instance' part, we suggest you to create SAP CI etc. using SAPinst. Just follow that SQL server copy note and the system copy guide for post copy steps as well.

Thanks

ganesh_borase2
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi!

For 'SAP instance' part, we suggest you to create SAP CI etc. using SAPinst. Just follow that SQL server copy note and the system copy guide for post copy steps as well.

I am not getting for above mentioned.