cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

solman landscape

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

My client is not suggesting going with export/import to build new target systems (XI 3.0, Solman 7.0) and suggested below method to build new target systems.

1) Fresh SAP (xi 3.0, solman 7.0) installation

2) Backup restore (online+archive) target system with source backup

3) Using sapinst export/import method java import in target system

Hear have few questions like:

1) If we go ahead with above method what kind of challenges we will face.

2) After backup restore what kind of challenges we will face during import.

3) When we are performing java export in source system, sap system should be down or up.

If system is up, during java import what kind of challenges we have to face.

Thanks,

Venkat

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat,

Why don't we build new target systems just by 'System copy' method instead of 'going for new installation and then system copy' ?

Via system copy itself you can utilize this backup/restore method for ABAP stack and export/import for Java stack to directly build the target system. I suggest you once go through the standard SAP system copy guide to review your plan once more.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I tried explaining all various options but my client wants to go ahead with mentioned options only.

Let me know what all pros and cons for client mentioned options.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I tried explaining all options but my client wants to go ahead with mentioned options.

Let me know what all pros and cons for mentioned options.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The con seems to be pretty straight forward for your planned method:

Instead of backup/restore you are going in for installation+backup/restore. The extra installation serves no purpose in my view as you anyway want to overwrite it. Why going for extra efforts/resoruces for the installation?

Regards,

Srikishan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have already suggested best method to go ahead with export/import for abap+java systems and this will take less time too.

Hear my question is technically what all pros / cons for my client suggested method.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

First do you plan to keep the same SID after the system copy?

If no, then the approach your client suggests is definitely wrong. Restoring the ABAP system's database will imply many more manual activities to get the DB name changed and related activities for the sync between new SID based users and old SID database users. For Java system, I do not think the procedure will even work. The SAPInst based export/import method is based on the fact that the target system is not existing.

Regards,

Srikishan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are keep for target systems same SID, hostanme & instance number.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In this case , you can go ahead with system refresh. Install new system, refresh with the your target system.

In this case, you no need to worry about the same SID, instance. Only the system components, patch level should be same.

Thanks,

Jansi