cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Solution Manager 7.0 ehp1 mandatory for BW 7.3 upgrade?

Former Member
0 Kudos

According to the upgrade guide, yes, we need SolMan 7.0 ehp1 to download the DVDs and patches for BI 7.3.

Actually, I find we can still download all those installation/upgrade DVDs via internet explorer directly, same as for support packages. Then what we need is just the support package stack xml file.

So if I ask somebody else (we have a SolMan managed by another branch office) help me to download this support package xml file, can we upgrade BI 7.0 to BI 7.3 without a solution manager?

We need some days to upgrade our SolMan 7.0 to 7.01, but I do not want to hold the upgrade.

Thanks for your suggestion,

James

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi James,

'same as for support packages.'

Are you sure that you are able to download the required support packages via OSS itself ?

'So if I ask somebody else (we have a SolMan managed by another branch office) help me to download this support package xml file'

You won't be able to download the correct XML file if that another solman is not connected to your BI or very same BI should already be connected to that solman and then you need to modify the xml to replace some details pertaining to your BI server.

'We need some days to upgrade our SolMan 7.0 to 7.01, but I do not want to hold the upgrade.'

If you are able to see and download the support packages at OSS then you will be download the corresponding XML file as well. But I am not sure if the OSS page supports the 'release' upgrade as well. What I know it just calculates the support packages for a 'single/same' release just to upgrade the patches.

But if you are still able to do 'everything' via OSS, then no need to go solman upgrade.

Thanks

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

No, you need solution manager to download stack xml file. You cannot download patched from SMP. You can download DVD's but not patches which you need to upgrade it to latest patches. So, you have to upgrade your solman to EHP1.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

First of all, I double confirm I DID download BI 7.3 support packages from SMP, just in last weekend!

You won't be able to download the correct XML file if that another solman is not connected to your BI or very same BI should already be connected to that solman and then you need to modify the xml to replace some details pertaining to your BI server.

Does this mean during the upgrade, BI server will connect to SAP website via SolMan and generate the XML online? Is there any server specified information in that XML? What I thought is that XML is just an offline file, which can be used for each BI system.

If you are able to see and download the support packages at OSS then you will be download the corresponding XML file as well. But I am not sure if the OSS page supports the 'release' upgrade as well. What I know it just calculates the support packages for a 'single/same' release just to upgrade the patches.

My understanding is that those DVDs can be used to upgrade to standard BI 7.3. Only If I want to upgrade to latest support packages, than I need the stack xml file. Please point me if I am wrong.

Thanks again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

'I double confirm I DID download BI 7.3 support packages from SMP, just in last weekend!'

That's okay, but that support package stack doesn't involve any file related to lower BI release (For e.g. 7.1), so you are able to download just another 'Higher' support package stack for a release called 7.3 if you are ALREADY on 7.3.

Does this mean during the upgrade, BI server will connect to SAP website via SolMan and generate the XML online? Is there any server specified information in that XML? What I thought is that XML is just an offline file, which can be used for each BI system.

No, it's not totally offline. File contains info specific to SID/host/IP as well (at least SID or two of these, I don't remember exactly). Yes you assumed correct, solution manager will connect to SAP for support package stack calculation.

My understanding is that those DVDs can be used to upgrade to standard BI 7.3. Only If I want to upgrade to latest support packages, than I need the stack xml file. Please point me if I am wrong.

Your understanding is almost correct. The only restriction is the 'Minimum' target SP level to be achieved during 'Upgrade' procedure itself. If the BI 7.3 upgrade guide restricts you to go for certain 'target' SP level which can't be covered only via upgrade DVDs then you will have to include SPs at the time of 'Release upgrade' procedure itself. At that moment you will need XML file as well.

If you are allowed to go for Specific minimum SP level which is already covered by release upgrade DVDs then you are free to go for BI 7.1 TO BI 7.3 upgrade and then later can upgrade the SPs separately via either OSS or Solution manager.

Thanks

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Updated information:

1) SolMan 7.01 is mandatory to download xml files for upgrade to BW 7.3 (Optional for BW 7.01), as xml is mandatory for upgrade program itself even IS_SELECT still provide a chance to select the product & hotpackage versions.

2) when download stack xml file, solman will connect to SAP service marketplace, the xml contains <SID> and <hostname> information in it.

3) Note 1600302 provides program RPT_MOPZ_COPY_STACK_XML to copy the xml to another system if the original support package version are identical.

Question closed.

Points will be rewarded.