cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"PBS Clock is out of sync" Error

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Recently I have bugged with a strange issue. Your suggestions needed.

Issue:

I have set up all the content repositories and all the settings related to archiving correctly. The Content repositories are present in a server which runs on Windows 2008 R2. Our SAP system (ECC 6.0) is on another server which runs on Windows 2008 R2 also. Now in every few days there is a strange error that creeps in when we do Archiving. It is an HTTP error which states "PBS Clock out of Sync, it should be synced once a day". I see that the clock of the server where Content repositories are kept lags for few seconds, after few days, even if we sync the time. The only possible solution here is to reboot the server where the Content Repositories are kept (PBS Server). But I believe that there is some permanent fix.

Can anyone advise?

Content Repository Version: 6.40

Sap system: ECC 6.0

Database: MS SQL 2008

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well, so for being so late in replying.

We have resolved the issue. The RCA was more than what I thought. Actually there was a problem (time-lag) with our Domain Server. By Domain, I mean the domain of our entire infrastructure landscape.

Sounds wierd, isn't it! But that's how it is.

Thanks a lot for your valuable suggestions.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You should check options for implementing an Automatic time-sync mechanism between your systems, or even consider replacing battery on the server.

Regards,

Varun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

This is very urgent, and I need suggestions from your end ASAP.

Please let me know if you need any more informations.

Kindly advise

Regards,

Avishek

Former Member
0 Kudos

If it is very urgent, you should open a service call with SAP.

This forums works on a voluntary basis, and you can't expect nor are entitled to ASAP answers.

As for your question, I am not sure about this error message. But as a first measure I would configure an automatic time sync mechanism like NTP (Network Time Protocol), if that hasn't been done yet.

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Joe and varun

Thanks a lot for your help I will research on NTP and update this post.

On a personal note, many thanks, Varun

IRegards,

Avishek

Edited by: Juan Reyes on Sep 28, 2011 3:06 PM

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As the error points to a PBS Clock I don't think is related to the server time itself (usually the tolerance is much higher than a few seconds and time difference errors usually show with a different message). Now PBS means Pairwise Broadcast Synchronization (as per old Google) and i think is used as part of algorithms used by hardware components (again as per Google) so you could have a hardware issue I guess.

Can you see any errors on the Event Log?

Regards

Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Juan for your suggestions.

Let me throw some more light on this PBS Issue. PBS stands for PERMA-BIT SERVER here in our case. It is the server where all the content repositories are installed/kept (PBS Software). The content repositories works with the help of IIS service installed in this server box.

Now, whenever a user tries to access the archived data from our SAP system, they in background, uses the Content Repository. The Content Repository (of the PBS Server) connects to SAP system with a Communication user PBSCPIC.

Now, whenever this clock issue appears, after resolving this issue, I find the password of this PBSCPIC user gets expired rendering the CRs unusable.

One more thing, if there is a time difference of even 1 second, then also this PBS Clock Sync issue appears. Recently (for 1 week) we have not seen this error, so will not be able to check the Event Log. But I am sure, we will see it again, then I will surely check Event Log.

Previous month we have undergone, OS-DB Migration for all our servers, can this be due to that?

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hahaha... and I was trying to find a logical explanation for the PBS clock thingy... 😄

In anycase, I use more conventional Content Server and time difference is not an issue as long as keep within reasonable limits....

A time difference of seconds even minutes in between boxes is a rather normal occurrance, have you talk to your PBS vendor about this particular issue?...

Regards

Juan