ritesh_bhatia2
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear SDN Friends,

We are approaching Hardware migration project in next two months,

My system details are:

ECC 6.0,

Database: Maxdb 7.6

Due to limitation on my current Hardware System Export will take longer on Production server. Due to this reason we will have to look for some standby approach for our buisness. I am thinking of following Approach.

1. Prepare the standby system for production using backup and restore method of Homogeneous system copy.

2. Redirecting all the logon users to this server.

3. Stopping Instance on the main server and Starting System Export there.

4. Starting Import on the new production server.

5. After Import is completed, Stop Standby instance, Take Transaction Logs Backup.

6. Ship Transaction Logs to New Server.

7. Apply Transaction Logs there.

8. Once Logs are applied Start New system and Then Users can Login to this system.

I think with this approach system will not be available for end users for only few hours, (i.e. once the transaction log backup is taken till its applied on New Production server.)

Please Suggest me if you have

done this before or Guide me with proper way if I am wrong.

Regards,

Ritesh Bhatia,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ritesh,

Instead of going for this long/complicated approach, I would go for the workarounds to plan how we can reduce the time duration of Export itself.

Moreover, after migration of non-production server, when you reach Production then probably you can plan to assign some more resources to the production server. For e.g. claiming some Memory/CPUs from non-production and assign them to Production just for the temporary time period until you finish with production Migration.

Thanks

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would prefer the steps, below;

1) Install the standby system

2) Copy log files and apply them to the standby when they created at the primary site, by a script. This will save the time at the downtime.

3) At the downtime step, stop production and switch hostname primary and standby systems. By doing so, you don't need any additional effort at the hardware migration.

4) Open the standby database and start the SAP system

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik