cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Production on VM - references/experiences/lessons learned

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are currently considering migrating all our environments to VM (most likely vsphere) and would like to know if anyone is using VM for their production systems and if so want to get some insights of any challenges or issues they might have faced with it.

Our current setup is:

Linux x86_64 - RHEL 4, ECC6, Oracle 10g

Target setup is:

Linux x86_64 - RHEL 6, ECC6, Oracle 11g.

Some more points around our environment:

ECC6 (2TB DB), Portal (40'000 ESS/MSS users)

peak 6000 user(ESS/MSS) concurrent (1 day per year), other peaks once per month 3000 concurrent users

Thanks,

Cheng

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I do and my landscape is RHEL-5.5 on on IBM H/w with ESX4.1 and MaxDB 7.7 & 7.8.

Also Netbackup for back up.

Having both PI-7.11 and ERP604 as production instances and other 13 more instance for DEV/QAS/SANDBOX/SOLMAN etc.

There are very little hiccups on the I/O side, rarely.

Make sure you double check the H/w & storage and their Vendor support for VM.

If you have RAC in mind/future have detailed check that one too. You might get disappointed.

Importantly, the CPU, rather vCPU limitation and licensing details with VMWare.

Oracle has not certified any of its products on VMware virtualized environments. Oracle Support will assist customers running Oracle databases on VMware in the following manner: Oracle will only provide support for issues that either are known to occur on the native OS, or can be demonstrated not to be as a result of running on VMware. +

For Oracle RAC, Oracle will only accept support requests as described in this note on Oracle RAC 11.2.0.2 and later releases.

Note 1122387 - Linux: SAP Support in virtualized environments

Note 1173954 - Support of Oracle for VMWare

Good Luck!

~vipin