cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with PCo 2.1 and ODBC data provider

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am trying to connect MII 12.0 to an Aspen IP.21 data historian using PCo as the universal data server. Configuration steps so far:

1) On the machine where PCo is installed, I have created an ODBC data source using Aspen's ODBC driver for SQL+.

2) In the PCo management console I have configured a source system using the Microsoft OLEDB Provider for ODBC Drivers, and selected the ODBC connection that I created. I click "Test Connection" and get a successful result.

3) In the PCo management console I have configured a destination system that points to an MII server. I put in the appropriate server/port/version/credentials, and click "Test Connection", and get a successful result.

4) In the PCo management console I have configured an agent instance connecting the source from step 2 and the destination from step 3.

When I start the agent instance, I get the red box with a white X in it indicating that the connection was not successful. When I go to the error logs I see:

Error . 6 6076 RS1630IP21T01 Host failed to create ConnectivityAgentProxy General PCo Fault: The .Net Framework Data Provider for OLEDB (System.Data.OleDb) does not support the Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (MSDASQL). Use the .Net Framework Data Provider for ODBC (System.Data.Odbc)

So, I installed the .NET data provider for ODBC to try to use that instead of the OLEDB provider for ODBC. However, when I try to reconfigure the source system, I do not see the .NET provider as one of my options. This is after a reboot, and starting/stopping all of the different PCo services.

Any thoughts experts??

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi John,

I am not an expert with PCo, but the steps you take sound like they are correct. You can back check your approach by using the UDS to verify the steps. If it fails in both systems, then there is problem elsewhere. If you can get it working in UDS and not PCo, then there is probably an issue with your setup, but you would then have more insight.

Probably not the recommended approach, but it has the benefit of being pretty quickly implemented.

Regards,

Mike

Former Member
0 Kudos

I just recently installed PCo 2.2, and my issue is now resolved. I am now using the "IP21 Agent" source system type (new in version 2.2), and it seems to work.

agentry_src
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time to post the solution. It really helps folks down the road.

Regards,

Mike

former_member202228
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi John,

Can you please describe the steps you took with PCo 2.2 and the IP21 Agent?

I just posted one of my issues in another thread.

One of the folks down the road ..

paul.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Install PCo 2.2 on a server that has network access to your IP.21 server, and that your destination server (and SAP MII server in my case) has access to.

In the PCo2.2 Management Console:

1. In the "Source Systems" section:
    1. Create a source system of type "IP21 Agent"
    2. On the Server Settings tab, provide the server name of your IP.21 server
  2. In the "Agent Instances" section
    1. Create an agent instance, picking the source system you just created
    2. In the Query Ports tab, under port type, select the type of system you will be communicating to. In my case, this is SAP MII, but you may be using something different.
    3. Also under the query ports tab, you can enter enter a port number if you like. I just accept the default, which is 9000.
  3. If you are going to "pull" data from the IP.21 server, this is all you need. If you want to "push" data to a destination system from your PCo server, you will need to set it up under the Destination Systems section. In my case, I am doing a data pull, so I haven't done much with destination systems.
  4. Not sure what your destination system is, but in my case it is MII. For MII here are the basic steps:
    1. Create a new UDC data server in the MII menu under Data Services -> Data Servers.
    2. Set the IP address of the data server to the IP address of your PCo server.
    3. Set the port number of the data server to the port number you set up in the agent instance.
    4. Make sure the agent instance is started on your PCo server.
    5. Create a new business logic transaction containing a Tag query, and configure the tag query to use the new MII data server you just created to query the tag(s) you are interested in.