cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After Kernel Upgrade, Not reflecing the new kernel patch no

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Our environment is ERP 6.0, Oracle 10.2 and HP-UX 11. We have upgraded the Kenel patch no 291 from 201.

When we tried the command disp+work its showing 291 but when we checked in SAP level in SM51 t-code its

showing 201. Please help to correct the issue.

Thanks,

Sreekanth

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have changed the kernel in 2 different places for IA64 and PA-RISC.

Thanks for all for the suggestions.

Regards,

Sreekanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have solved the issue when i changed the ownership of kernel executables. But i have one question.

Our Production is in cluster environment. We have ECC CI on HP-UX with IA64, Oracle 10g and we have a application server on HP-UX with PA-RISC.

So if we want update kernel do we need to update on CI and App server or only CI is enough.

In some forums i have seen that if change in /sapmnt/SID/exe is enough and it will reflect all.

Suggest me on this

Regards,

Sreekanth

former_member182307
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

As you have 2 different machine types, then you should perform 2 kernel updates.

The kernel for IA64 is different from the one for PA-RISC.

In your configuration, you should have 2 physical /sapmnt/SID/exe directories. One for IA64 and the other one for PA-RISC.

In "classical" configurations , all the CI and AS run on the same kind of processor architecture. The /sapmnt/SID directory is shared between all the application servers ( wether CI or AS ) . Then when you perform a kernel upgrade in these environments, you patch in /sapmnt/SID/exe and the files are copied to all the application servers on restart by sapcpe. Sapcpe copies files that have changed from /sapmnt/SID/exe to /usr/sap/SID/<INSTANCE_DIR>/exe.

If you have a CI and 2 dialog instances of the same bytecode, this means that files are copied, for example, from /sapmnt/SID/exe to

/usr/sap/SID/DVEBMGS00/exe

/usr/sap/SID/D10/exe

/usr/sap/SID/D20/exe

In fact the disp+work processes are started from these last directories and not from /sapmnt/SID/exe. That's why you can have differences beetween what you have in /sapmnt/SID/exe and wht you see when you check in SAP through the System -> Status menu bar. This means something went wrong in the kernel update ( sapcpe not working or other things... ) .

When you use different bytecodes, then there should be 2 different physical /sapmnt/SID/exe directories ( one for eache bytecode ).

Hope i'm clear enough

Best regards,

Steve.

0 Kudos

Hi sree,

I am facing the same problem, could you please tell me which permissions we need to change in order to get the upgraded kernel version in SM51.

waiting for your response.

Thanks,

Bhushan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

In kernel upgrade, the new kernel is to be copied to /sapmnt/SID/exe or /usr/sap/SID/SYS/exe/uc. ..directory. In some of the threads they are suggesting to copy to /sapmnt/SID/exe and threads are suggesting to copy to /usr/sap/SID/SYS/exe/uc. .

Which one is correct method to follow to copy in /sapmnt/SID/exe or /usr/sap/SID/SYS/exe/uc. . advise me...

Regards,

Sreekanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check link: http://it.toolbox.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_update_SAP_Kernel

Usually it is enough to update the /sapmnt/<sid>/exe. The updated files here are copied to all other places when the system starts.

If you see that this does not happen for some reason - update the kernel at both the known locations to avoid confusion. After all, kernel update is downtime..

Regards,

Srikishan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sreekanth,

This is really strange. Just try to restart SAP once more. Also check whether 'disp+work' is update in all the kernel locations or not (for e.g. /sapmnt/SID/exe and /SYS/exe/run)

Thanks