cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting data from Production to Development in a R/3 System

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good Morning,

I have a landscape where i have a Productive and a Development system (SAP R/3 Enterprise Release 4.70 SR1 1.10 with MaxDB 7.5 running on a HP-UX 11.23) and i was asked to copy the data and customizing (not user master data) from Production to Development. Both systems have 7 clients (6 for each country and one for Human Resources) and i need to copy the productive data to the development data (the Productive data can overwrite the Development data).

This is my first time doing this, and since i have a short deadline to do it, i need all the help i can get...

I'm not sure if i should use SCC8 or SCC9 in order to create a transport request for each client copy.

I've checked the OS space in sapdata and transport directories, i've also checked the database space and i need to change MAXDATAVOLUMES size and also create more volumes.

Now that i've done that, i need to know what to do next... Does anyone knows where i can find a procedure or documentation on this? Some kind of step by step guide?

About the Export Profiles, which default profile should i choose in order to copy

All client specific data, customizing AND NOT user master data?

Can i do any kind of test run before the export in order to understand the space i'm going to need in transport directory for example?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Pedro Gaspar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I'm not sure if i should use SCC8 or SCC9 in order to create a transport request for each client copy'

SCC8 is exporting the client - it will create a client transport which can be imported into the target client

SCC9 is the remote client copy - without transport - it directly copies the source client to the target, across the systems.

About the Export Profiles, which default profile should i choose in order to copy

All client specific data, customizing AND NOT user master data?

In that case it should be SAP_ALL without user master --> SAP_APPL

For testing, you can execute test client copy as well. For documentation refer the links and notes -

http://help.sap.com/printdocu/core/Print46c/en/data/pdf/BCCTSCCO/BCCTSCCO.pdf

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/99/0a2a887e2511d2a6250000e82deaaa/content.htm

Note 67205 - CC-INFO: Copying large and productive clients

Note 24853 - CC-INFO: Client copy, functionality

Note 1070585 - Support for remote client copy/ client transport

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Good Morning,

Thank you for your reply.

In this specific case i'm going to choose the client export since it's a assynchronous process.

Nevertheless i have two doubts:

1. In SCC8 the SAP_APPL profile isn't available, so i guess i need to use SAP_ALL and change the user master data accordingly afterwards right?

2. I also have several project teams developing in ABAP in my development system. If i export the productive client, will the ABAP code be overwritten (scripts, smartforms, etc...)? I ask this, because right now there are several programs with different versions in both systems (the landscape consists of only a DEV and PRD system NO quality). If the ABAP code in development will be overwritten, i need to tell the development teams to comment all the changes, then create transports to production to make the program versions the same, and then save the data an cofiles to import them again in development after the import. Will also RFC definitions change? Jobs will also be copied? What's the difference between this and a Homogeneous System Copy using backup/restore?

Thank You.

Best Regards,

Pedro Gaspar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Pedro,

1. In SCC8 the SAP_APPL profile isn't available, so i guess i need to use SAP_ALL and change the user master data accordingly afterwards right?

In that case, you should/can 'Export' the user master of the target system before the Client copy, so that you can re-import the same user master in the target system after sap_all copy from source.

2. I also have several project teams developing in ABAP in my development system. If i export the productive client, will the ABAP code be overwritten (scripts, smartforms, etc...)? I ask this, because right now there are several programs with different versions in both systems (the landscape consists of only a DEV and PRD system NO quality). If the ABAP code in development will be overwritten, i need to tell the development teams to comment all the changes, then create transports to production to make the program versions the same, and then save the data an cofiles to import them again in development after the import. Will also RFC definitions change? Jobs will also be copied? What's the difference between this and a Homogeneous System Copy using backup/restore?

This is the reason that normally the 'Production to Development' copy is not recommended. I would wait if our other techies here can help/advise us for this.

A simple difference between a client copy and system copy is that the client copy is just 'client dependent' change and system copy is 'system wide' change - erasing everything on the target and just overwriting/duplicating the 'complete source' onto the target.

Thanks