Mohsin

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

former_member227281
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mohsin,

Maximum size of data file depends on operating system version. If you set the ulimit -a option in ora<sid>, the data file size can be very large as possible and there is no restricitions as long as you have enough filesystem space.

Howevere for taking backup, there is restrictions as follows

For using tar backup, this will backup file upto 8GB. For example if you have some files larger than 8GB, those backup thosefiles upto 8GB. So during restoration from backup tape, file can b restore incomplete.

For usingcpio backup, upto 2GB data file size will be backedup.

hence u must change the configuration in init<SID>.sap located in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs folder by changing the cpio backup command with dd command.

DD command can work with very large data file and there is no restrictions. Howvere backup performance will be very slow.

Hece recommed to have maximum 8 GB data file size. So when 8GB is full, then use brtools to add another data file

Hope this helps

Regards

APR

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

If Oracle blocksize is set to 8K, limit is 32GB... So, I would use 32GB as limit.

audunlea_hansen
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi!

Usual it's not Oracle that creates the limit, but other utilities You use. Some old utilities have a limit on 32GB.

I'll say a datafile on 30GB are a size it's possible to work with.

Regards

Audun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mohsin,

It depends on planning n sizing what you want to achieve ,in terms of proper maintenance as well.

You would like to go through the Note 129439 - Maximum file sizes with Oracle

Thanks