cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User authentication on Web service

0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

We are calling a webservice from oracle (external system) and pass username and password.

Now, because of company compliance we cannot pass the username and password via URL when calling a web-service. The only option I am told is to go for X.509 certificates (user authentication via certificates).

I have checked Sap system, SNC is already configured.

Kindly, advice how should I implement the solution to apply/generate certificate and using it on the external system.

Question: Does SSO needa to be configured to generate a certificate?

Question: How to Generate (Sap system) and consume certificate (External system)?

Any step by step document would be real help.

Regards,

Abhishek.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

blanca_serrano
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek,

In the "Configuration" section that appears in the documentation, please click on "Using X.509 client certificates" link where you will find details about how to do it.

Regards,

Blanca

0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

I am trying to use X.509 certificates to authenticate user from external system (java based). I am new to the security arena, do have less knowledge on this area.

We have created a web service in BI (SAP), this service is accessed by external system.

Question are:

1) Who needs to create the X.509 certificates? SAP or external system?

2) Is it possible to create certificates via ABAP workbench.

Regards,

Abhi.

0 Kudos

I know it's very old thread, do you remember how were you able to get the solution for this issue?

If you can share the documentation of this implementation or some input would be helpful.

Thanks

Red

blanca_serrano
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Abhishek,

The following documentation explains the prerequisites, security considerations and how to configure X.509 certificates to access both SAP and non SAP systems. Please, check it as I think it contains all the information you need to achieve what you want:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73/helpdata/en/43/dc1fa58048070ee10000000a422035/frameset.htm

I hope it helps you.

Regards,

Blanca

0 Kudos

Hi Blanca,

The link provides a high level picture of how certificates work.

Please provide some details (more step by step config).

Regards,

Abhishek.