cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NW 7.0 Enhancement Pack 4 - System Copy Possible?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Fellow experts,

I have a question regarding the deployment of NW 7.0 EP4. Please think about the following scenario:

1) I have two SAP systems, both having NW 7.0 EP3 on them. Let's call these systems (SIDs) as "ABC" and "DEF". Their ABAP and JAVA support pack levels, Kernels, OS & DB versions and everything else are identical. The OS is Windows 2003 server, the DB is SQL Server 2005 -- both running on x64-bit and Unicode.

2) I go through the pre-requisite tasks based on EP4 implementation guide before deploying NW 7.0 EP4 on the "ABC" system. The pre-requisites include (but not limited to) Kernel updates, some DLL updates in the file system for Windows and SQL server, some profile parameter changes, SAP Notes, etc.

3) After the pre-requisites are completed, I use the Solution Manager/Maintenance Optimizer to define the download stack file for the "ABC" system. I download all the necessary files to upgrade the ABAP and JAVA components of my "ABC" system to NW 7.0 EP4.

4) I run the SAP Enhancement Pack Installer (EhPi) to go through the upgrade steps and I successfully upgrade my "ABC" system to NW 7.0 EP4. Then I activate some new business functions that are available with EP4 using the transaction SFW5.

Now, my question is as follows:

- If I do not want to go through the same EP4 deployment steps for my "DEF" system as I did for my "ABC" system, can I use the classic "Homogeneous System Copy" procedure (_Backup "ABC" database_, Restore it as "DEF" database, Perform a JAVA Export from "ABC", Perform a JAVA Import to "DEF" using the export from "ABC", and afterwards modify the path and interface definitions and other SID-related changes in the "DEF" system)?

- I know that the Kernel updates, Windows & SQL DLL updates and some of the other EP4 deployment pre-requisites will "not" carry over to the "DEF" system when I perform a System Copy. I am planning to prepare the "DEF" system manually by going through the EP4 pre-requisites list prior to performing the System Copy from "ABC" to "DEF".

- Basically my question is that can I avoid going through the whole EP4 deployment via SAP EhPi, if I perform a System Copy plus JAVA Export/Import to the "DEF" system from the "ABC" system? Is it possible to get all the changes made to "ABC" system (in the database, and in the JAVA configuration files in the file system) carried over to "DEF" system this way?

Thank you very much in advance for your response.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

First of all, its not Netweaver EP4, it is ERP 6.0 EHP4 system.

Yes, you can carry out this system copy activity as mentioned in the homogeneous system copy guide. Steps which you mentioned is almost same, for more details you can check system copy guide.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Sunny, yes it is an ERP 6.0 EP4 -- not NW 7.0.

I made a repetitive typo (NW 7.0 EP4) in my message because we are also going to be deploying the enhancement packs for our NW 7.0 systems. We will upgrade our NW 7.0 to EP1 along with the ERP components in the NW installation to ERP EP4.

Do you confirm that the System Copy + JAVA Export/Import would bring over EP4 deployment to the new system by similar experience of yours, or by theoretically speaking?

Thank you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

From my point of view, we have run this 'standard' procedure many times and should not have any problems.

Regards,

Srikishan

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Do you confirm that the System Copy + JAVA Export/Import would bring over EP4 deployment to the new system by similar experience of yours, or by theoretically speaking?

A system copy duplicates the source to target. So the target system will be an identical copy of the source system.

Markus

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you all for your answers.