cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB Import is very slow on ESX

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are performing OS/DB migration from Sun/Oracle to Win/SQL server. Export took 9 hours when we perform import it is taking more than 25 hours and we are using ESX ( VMWARE), import system configuration is

DB : SQL Server

8 CPUS

32 GB RAM

1.5 TB HD ( for databases)

500GB for log files 1

500GB for log file 2

Importing is taking very slow and we are split export and import method. Please help me reason for the slow performance and let know any specific configuration we have to use for sap on vmware specific to SQL Server DB.

Regards,

Kanthi.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> OS : Windows 2003

Any reason why you don't use a recent operating system (such as Windows 2008 or Windows 2008 R2)?

> DB : SQL Server

> 8 CPUS

> 32 GB RAM

> 1.5 TB HD ( for databases)

> 500GB for log files 1

> 500GB for log file 2

>

> Importing is taking very slow and we are split export and import method. Please help me reason for the slow performance and let know any specific configuration we have to use for sap on vmware specific to SQL Server DB.

How is your disk layout configuration (VMDK? iSCSI? raw FC? Are log and database on different disks? What parameters do you use to run the load (do you use -loadprcoedure fast with BCP_LOB=1?)

Be aware that heterogeneous migrations require the mgiration to be done by a certified migration consultant on-site (http://service.sap.com/osdbmigration).

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Markus,

Our current landscape is 4.6c/sun/oracle migrating to 4.6c/win2003/sql server then we will shift into win2008 during the upgrade.

1. We are using vmdk files on a datastore that is accessed using iSCSI

2. Log and database on different disks.(DB-1.4TB and logs 600GB each)

3. We have set with BCP_LOB=1

Please help why the DB-import very slow, after splitting we have the packages, 500 and the export took only 12 hours...now in db-import it already took 30 hrs and running the db-import and it is completed 70% only.

Please help us :

1. Need to change any hardware.

2. Need to change any parameters in sql server.

We have got one more chance to execute the db-import, please help.

Regards,

Karthik.

Edited by: Karthiksap on Sep 19, 2011 9:26 PM

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Please help why the DB-import very slow, after splitting we have the packages, 500 and the export took only 12 hours...now in db-import it already took 30 hrs and running the db-import and it is completed 70% only.

> Please help us :

Exactly therefore are the migration consultants, they know the environment and know what to tweak

- How big is your queued disk I/O? (use performance monitor to check)

- What is the CPU load on the server during the import?

- How many parallel processes are you running?

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Please find:

- How big is your queued disk I/O? (use performance monitor to check)

--

- What is the CPU load on the server during the import?

-- 10 % to 20%

- How many parallel processes are you running?

Network team is complaining about some ESX issues are experiencing, is this effect to the performance of the DB-Import.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> - How big is your queued disk I/O? (use performance monitor to check)

This number indicates whether you have an I/O problem (using too many R3loads in parallel). If you want to trace down performance problems you should get familiar with the Windows tools, you may need that later during production also.

> - How many parallel processes are you running?

>

> 20

And you make sure using migration monitor that no packages of the same table are loaded simultaneously if you have split the talbles?

> Network team is complaining about some ESX issues are experiencing, is this effect to the performance of the DB-Import.

I can't say since I don't know if you load the data from a network drive or locally or if the system loading the data into the database is local or remote.

I suggest you open an OSS call, they may have a look on the system and may give you some idea. Just from a description without having actual I/O key numbers it's impossible to give any hint where to look at to speed things up.

Markus

former_member271283
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Karthik,

since you are using iSCSI - any Network issues should be solved asap. Make sure that JumboFrames are enabled and that also the iSCSI network is seperated from the standard Network used for AppServer and GUI connectivity.

Peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

to rule out any VMware misconfiguration, you could draw a VMware Performance Snapshot during migration as of SAP Note 1158363 (please follow this Note very carefully) and open an SAP support message on component BC-OP-NT-ESX.

Kind regards,

Matthias

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Karthik,

Since the CPU load is only 20% , you can try to speed up the import process by increasing the number of paraller jobs.

Make it 40 can check the import speed. It should improvise.

Regards,

Deepak Kori