cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Use Solution Manager for Projects and Support

Mark_D
Explorer
0 Kudos

We have invested a lot into Solution Manager for an Implementation Project. Now that we have completed this project is there any place in SolMan that we can manage our operations? We would like some structure to put our procedures, standards, work instructions, etc. Our operations is not a project -- or is it? It would be nice to have a home for our operating manual.

Also, if we have multiple projects completed, where are we supposed to update our documentation? Do we hunt and peck among all the different projects to find the documents and functionality that we wish to update? I could see this becoming a big mess.

Perhaps I don't understand how Solution Manager is organized.

Can anyone help explain how we are to use this tool going forward?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

after you have finished your projects you can transfer the project data to solutions. Solutions are the counterpart to projects in operation. You have to take-over your scenarios and processes along with all assignments into solutions. Solutions are maintained in solution directory. You can access the directory either via transaction solution_manager or directly via solution_directory.

You'll find more information about solutions in the online help.

Best regards,

Michael

Mark_D
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks Michael. I started to see this structure as I dug a little deeper. Care to comment on where to put our support and operations documentation for our support organization?

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

documentation can be assigned to processes and scenarios of a solution. There may be several areas for you support and operations documents depending on the content. Most common is to use the documentation tab. In this case, access to the documents is possible via Solution Directory.

In general, it is possible to assign documents also on development tab, configuration tab, test case tab and learning material tab (documents on this tab can be distributed via intranet).

Best regards,

Michael

Mark_D
Explorer
0 Kudos

My issue is that I want to attach documentation that apply across our processes and scenarios and specific to our support organization. This would be our support department's charter, procedures, standards, work instructions, etc. I thought it would make sense to put our management program on Solution Manager with all the other documentation we use everyday. It's clear to me where to put the process documentation but not clear where to put management program documentation.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The way I have handled this is to create a Business Scenario representing ITIL processes (IT support and maintenance). This is in fact an ongoing business process, and the system in your landscape used for these activities is Solution Manager. This way you can manage IT documentation in the same way as other documentation.

Note also that with the latest patch SAP supplies content for such a scenario in the Business Process Repository.

Message was edited by: Marcel V

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi we are currently deploying SAP and we use Solution Manager as the project Document Management. In fact we load only documents which are deliverables in SSM while other working docs are stored on an MS shared drive organised by Streams (01 PM, 02 Integration, 03 F2S, 04 R2R, etc...). Deliverables are following a naming convention and approval flow. The others Not. The standards and Project description documents are deliverables. We store them under the Project which is level 1 of the BPML. You can also create a Scenario for Project Management (0 PM) even if it does not exist in your BPML. SAP suppose that we store non process related documents into the Roadmap of ssm. But we don't use the SSM Roadmap at all. We us MS project. I.e. we store Dev specs and IS documents under a Scenario named (10. IS) and created sub-folders or Scenarios just to store docuemnts. Also we decided to store all documents in teh GEN tab to make it simplier for all project consultants, over 150 project members.

Regards

Philippe Pfleger

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think the concept of uploading all relevant documents to the solution manager is really great.

I used to work for a company operating all over Europe with a shared SAP installation. You always had the problem to coordinate the key users, manage the assigned role, inform all key users about current change management activities and so on.

In a case like that solution manager could be really a fantastic help, having check in/check out possibilities, having the documents linked into the business blueprint etc.

It might be a big effort to set up the Solution Manager initially, especially if you are not currently working on a project. Once you are working on a project you should not only focus on using the Solution Manager for the project (upgrade / implementation) itself, but design it to be your knowledge, solution and process system for the future.

0 Kudos

Hi..

We are refining our Solution Manager, and the question is where would you make the modifications once you copied the Project (Maintenance Project) into your Solutions.

For example, we now have a new Maintenance Project (copied of implementation Project), then Maintenance Project copied to Solution Directory. We now need to make a document or process change, this was done through (SOLAR01), how can the Maintenance Project in Solution Directory be updated?

Thanks,

Catherine

raguraman_c
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Have you heared of a SAP creature called, <b>Knowledge Warehouse</b>. Try it.

--Ragu

Mark_D
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response Ragu. Does Knowledge Warehouse provide the structures and/or template for operations? Or are you just suggesting we use some sort of Document Management tool.

Message was edited by: Mark Dickhoff