Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collapse SAP User Menu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone!

I have users that have multiple composite roles assigned. When building a composite role, I know that you can collapse the single role menus to remove all duplicate tcodes and streamline the folder structure. So, if I assign a user one composite role, all looks good when they log in. If I assign them more than one, however, is there any way to collapse the combination of menus from each composite role for the user? Similar to the "collapse menu" button in PFCG when building a composite role?

Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Contrary to popular belief and default settings, you can also "collapse" when loading the user menus after login and can control it per user.

Search for "redundancy AND compression" or take a look at the search help in table ssm_cust.

Cheers,

Julius

Edited by: Julius Bussche on Sep 17, 2011 12:36 AM

Table name corrected from prgn_cust to ssm_cust

6 REPLIES 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

We can not collapse at user level.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Contrary to popular belief and default settings, you can also "collapse" when loading the user menus after login and can control it per user.

Search for "redundancy AND compression" or take a look at the search help in table ssm_cust.

Cheers,

Julius

Edited by: Julius Bussche on Sep 17, 2011 12:36 AM

Table name corrected from prgn_cust to ssm_cust

0 Kudos

Thanks so much for your help!!

I reached out to a colleague of mine too (just after I had posted the question), and he suggested adding COLLAPSE_MENU into table SSM_CUST. I did this and just tested it out and it seems to work, but do you know if there are any negative impacts? I would hate to transport this to Production (after testing) and have something go wonky that I didn't think to check into I'm still digging through SDN so if I happen to find anything else, I will post it here in case others needed the info....

Cheers,

Cindy

0 Kudos

Yes, there are risks involved with confused users in Production, depending on how many roles they have with menus and how redundant the transaction codes are. It will appear differently for them.

I had exactly the same problem once to set the SMM_CUST setting (yes you are correct about the table - my above post mentioned the wrong table initially) and then user specifically turn it off again and you will find the thread and some workarounds here -->

What we ended up doing as an interim was to create an area menu for the users who should be switched and need the compression. When they were all migrated to the new roles and we then knew what would happen, we set the SSM_CUST switch and removed the area menus. Worked okay, but there were only about 1000 users and about 40 large single roles involved. No composites...

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Great information!

I agree about confusing users. We are actually preparing a communication to send out before the change is made (with screenshots) to ensure they understand why things look differently when they log into the system on the specified date. I would hate for the poor Service Desk staff to get bombarded with calls/questions. Hopefully this will be sufficient to minimze the impact.

I like your other suggestions (and the post is entertaining!), I am going to look into them. Thank you so much for the valuable information!

0 Kudos

Yes, I like the interesting discussions on SDN.sap.com, and SAP also listens to some of them.

For "how to" type questions it is best to first consult HELP.sap.com or use the search and then still make a question about doubts and risks - then we have less "noise" here in the discussion forums.

Cheers,

Julius