cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business layer and Data foundation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello, I am still trying to learn BOBJ. i have a question that i could not find answer for. it is :

what is the difference between data foundation and business layer? from the readings that i have done so far it looks like data foundation is a plce where we create joins etc. but then what is busienss layer?

thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

A data foundation contains a schema of relevant tables and joins from one or more relational databases that are used as a basis for one or more business layers.

Using the Data Foundation Editor, you can have derived tables, alias tables, calculated columns, contexts, prompts, and lists of values.

You can build any number of business layers on the same data foundation.

In simple terms: - it is something like "white screen of universe designer where you place your tables and create joins etc. (Just an example)

A business layer is a collection of metadata objects that map to SQL or MDX definitions in a database, for example, columns, views, database functions, or pre-aggregated calculations.

The metadata objects include dimensions, hierarchies, measures, attributes, and predefined conditions.

In simple terms: - it is something like "Left side panel of universe designer where you create class, dimension, measures etc. (Just an example)

If you want to understand this in details go through http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/boexir4/en/xi4_info_design_tool_en.pdf

Thanks,

Vivek

Answers (0)