cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP MDM Architecture for development in AIX box

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are trying to install MDM in AIX LPAR as our development.

Is it a good idea to have database in the same LPAR as MDM server. If yes or no, Why?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please refer the Master and Installation guide for IBM for details -

https://websmp205.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700001668472008E

https://websmp205.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000449862011E

Installing Database in the same LPAR is ok in case of DEV.

But according to my knowledge having Database in different LPAR with dedicated hardware resources enables the performance stability in Production environment with huge number of records in MDM. As Database jobs need to have their own bandwidth without affecting the MDM hardware resource. Also application server i.e. MDM server can be restarted without affecting the Database server. Still it is upto your requirement about having a separate LPAR for database.

Separate LPAR database can be further used for different tools as well in future using the MCOD functionality.

Thanks,

Shambhu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Shambu again for the reply. My reply in line

But according to my knowledge having Database in different LPAR with dedicated hardware resources enables the performance stability in Production environment with huge number of records in MDM. As Database jobs need to have their own bandwidth without affecting the MDM hardware resource.

-Subin-> Since LPARS pool the resources in a box, why should there be an impact in performance?

Also application server i.e. MDM server can be restarted without affecting the Database server. Still it is upto your requirement about having a separate LPAR for database.

---> How would having both servers - db and MDM in same LPAR should impact each other during restarts.

Separate LPAR database can be further used for different tools as well in future using the MCOD functionality.

--> Not sure on this. by having different LPAR should not make any difference. am i right?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

According to you what are the benefits of having LPAR? I am just providing my point of views. It is upto your requirement and business scenario.

If you are doing hardware partitioning and dedicating resources to LPAR it does make a difference.

LPAR OS can be restarted independently affecting the Database OS.

Dedicated LPAR for only database supporting several tools makes your DBA teams life easy.

Thanks,

Shambhu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shambu,

Appreciate your view points

According to you what are the benefits of having LPAR?

-

Subin---> LPARs with shared resource pool has a huge benefit on the cost. I am still trying to dig out more info on LPAR in our current landscape from BASIS team, as i am myself new to the AIX systems.

If you have more info regarding the best practises please let me know.