cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Netweaver Mobile still necessary with the latest SUP?

former_member191469
Participant
0 Kudos

I am confused about how or if Netweaver Mobile fits into the architecture if you are using the latest version of SUP. I saw this thread () a few months ago and got the impression that it is no longer needed. I am assuming that if we bring SUP in-house, that we won't need to also standup Netweaver Mobile. Is this true?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Netweaver Mobile:

1) Strong in Data synchronisation with SAP Backends such as ERP,CRM, etc ( DOE )

2) Limitation with client UI

SUP:

1) Extensive devise management with Afaria

2) Code generation for any device platform ( IOS,Android, Windows Mobile, etc )

Even though the presentations from SAP claims that DOE is part of SUP 2.1, technically it's a seperaet installation in ABAP stack. It's the same Netweaver mobile as of now.

Thanks,

Abdul Raheem

former_member191469
Participant
0 Kudos

I get the impression from the documentation that I've read and from the responses, that SAP is still working to reconcile/consolidate/integrate Sybase Unwired Platform and Netweaver Mobile and that for some period of time, the two products will remain somewhat separate. Thanks for all of your responses. When trying to put together a reference architecture using SUP and our SAP back-ends, I will probably have to include Netweaver Mobile because I suspect that it will be necessary in some scenarios.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

With the latest release sup 2.1.1 its not required to have netweaver.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

great -- it is not required to have Netweaver... why on earth is one of the big new things in SUP 2.1.1 the DOE-Connector to connect SUP and Neteaver then?

SUP does not need Netweaver at all - this is right - but SUP works extremely well with Netweaver and they both enhance each other in a very good wy!

Regards,

Oliver

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oliver that was a very interesting thread you wrote. I have developed mobile applications using SUP and I am very aware of the technology. But there is one question that i still have, if mobile applications for CRM and EAM are developed on MI7.1, what advantage was there bringing SUP into the equation?

I can see many uses for SUP but just not in combination with MI7.1, unless it is something to do with administration of devices. In this case it seems to be an unnecessary extra layer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

well, it depends absolutely on your business case. For a smaller scenario SUP ist absolutely fine - but in my personal feeling you get the most if you combine both plattforms and so you get the best of both worlds. Great monitoring and device handling of NWM7.1 combined with the flexibility, performance and feature rich SUP world.

It is such a wide topic, perhaps we should discuss this on the phone?

Regards,

Oliver

former_member191469
Participant
0 Kudos

I also asked the question of our SAP rep and I got this response. Just for future reference:

"NW Mobile is deprecated and will no longer be developed. You are correct you do not need NW Mobile to deploy mobile CRM. If you use the delivered CRM Mobile App from SAP you will need the SUP Unwired Platform and SUP DOE."

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Timothy,

well, he is right in a way - but one thing: what is SUP DOE? There is no SUP DOE as such and there will not be as I was told here at TechEd by SAP representatives.

So: it is correct, NW Mobile will not be further developed.Bug fixing yes, but no further development as such. Perhaps it gets obsolete in the future, as SUP is getting better - okay. But it will always be there for the next years and if SAP wants to get rid of it, they need to give clients a way to migrate to another solution. So even there is no further dev it will not get switched off at some point in the future. And: with NWM7.3 we have a big development in NWM to allow a better integration with SUP out of the box.

So if you want to use CRM mobile, you need the following landscape to deploy it (for example):

1.) ECC Backend (your CRM Backend, off course you need this)

2.) Netweaver Mobile 7.3 (This is the DOE part, including ESDMA)

3.) Sybase SUP

Well, you need to connect SUP and NWM7.1 together. To do this you need to install a DOE-Connector in Sybase. The NWM7.3 contains the counter part to DOE-C which is the ESDMA stuff. This is now included in NWM7.3. If you run still NWM7.1 you need to install that piece of connector as a separate add on.

So to summ this up: the SAP representative was either unclear to you at this point or he should read the documentation again. Sorry I have to say it this way, but you definetly need NWM if you are running CRM and the DOC part will not be included in the SUP. We have seen the SUP development agenda for the next releases to come, there was nothing like that mentioned. Even better, the DOE-C will be included in standard sUP, which means out of the box you have a better ability to connect SUP to NWM and so to use the DOE.

By the way the same as I said for CRM is true for the new EAM Mobile solution from SAP and Mobile Sales as well. So all of these 3 apps use NWM, DOE-C and SUP. This is off course a big issue for some clients, cause the maintenance cost of the landscape increases due to the fact, that they need a new SUP-Server and can not switch off the NWM box.

On the other hand as said: if you are running a smaller scenario and have no need for CCMS integration, complex monitoring, enterprise device handling from the data side,...... then you will be absolutely happy in using SUP only. It will take some more time to integrate SUP really into the SAP world and extend it by some really needed features and enhance the monitoring abilities for the business for example.

Hope this does not confuse you too much.

Regards,

Oliver