cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applicationserver, Messageserver, Presentationserver (difference)

Former Member
0 Kudos

dear sap community,

i´m a newbee trainee in the sap world since 1,5 month.

after learning a lot of sap and getting confused by sort my knowlege.

there is an application, message and a presentation server.

are these 3 diff. server ore an application server can be a message ore a presentation server.

i tryed to look how often the presentationserver is logged on. after using sm51 i become confused,...

i hope someone can help me.

thanks a lot.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

vincentlim826
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

if you google for these topics, you already can get some answer.

Basically R/3 System implements a 3-Tier Client/Server architecture:

- DB Server

- Application Server

- Presentation Server (GUI Frontend)

In another explanation:

- presentation server - it is frontend, spagui that take data from application server and display to users.

- application server - it is the instance that run the application program. The application server itself consists of several different processes which have to communicate with each other, and the processes are: dispatcher, work process, gateway

if the application server is having classical setup to be central instance, then it contains the external process of message server.

- message server - it is the normally the entity (external process) that reachable to ALL the application server, and can be used for logon balancing. It is for inter-app server communication

Message server can reside in central instance (classical way), or reside in Central Services (ASCS/SCS) that normally in standalone architecture (togeher with enqueue services).

Regards,

Vincent